January Faculty Meeting
Tuesday, January 5, 2016
Happy New Year & Welcome Back
ACS DISTRICT GOALS
Expand access to district preschool programs and ensure our preschool students meet district achievement goals.
We will strengthen core instruction so that all subgroups will be successful without the need for a supplemental instruction as measured by number of students receiving interventions.
The Whole Child-Resiliency. Adaptation. Success.
Asheville City Schools will assess and restructure operational systems in an effort to address the needs of the whole child by providing opportunities to ensure all students graduate college and/or career ready.
CLAXTON SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT GOALS
Create a more inclusive school culture by equipping staff with new strategies for recognizing and supporting the strengths and needs of the whole child.
Goal #2 Academic Achievement
62.6% of our black students will be proficient in reading by 2018 as compared to in 2015.
Goal #3 Academic Achievement
61.2% of our black students will be proficient in math by 2018 as compared to in 2015
Goal #4 Whole Child
Increase parent involvement of our at-risk student population as identified by students in the red or yellow on MCLASS DIBELS/TRC.
STAFF SHOUT OUTS
- Thank you to all the instructional assistants who have been supporting the teachers in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades.
- A HUGE thank you to Tom Godleski for organizing the 9th Annual Claxton Storytelling Festival.
- Thank you to James, Brooks, Kimberly, and Karen for telling stories.
- Thank you to Brooks Butler for organizing a successful and festive Winter Concert.
- Thank you to cafeteria staff for an amazing Holiday Lunch.
- Thank yo to everyone involved in the Holiday Assistance Party and to those staff who sponsored a child.
- Thank you to the Sharpen the Saw Committee for organizing the activities at the Staff Holiday Party and organizing the Cookie Exchange.
- Thank you to Mark Ackerman for organizing the Secret Santa.
- Thank you to Coach Swain for sharing the gym with the storytelling festival and the Winter Concert.
- Thank you to the Claxton PTO for the holiday meal, gift cards, providing lunch for storytellers, organizing and staffing the Penguin Patch Shop, providing holiday assistance to several of our students, and the cookies/punch at the Winter Concert. You ROCK!
- Others . . .
- PBIS Recognition-Exemplar Status from NCDPI
CLX Racial Equity Work- Whole Child
3:30 until 5:00Micro-aggression training with Mark Ackerman & Craig White
UPCOMING EVENTS FOR JANUARY & FEBRUARY
- Tuesday, January 5, PTO Meeting at the Montford Center at 6:00
- Wednesday, January 6, Make-up Implicit Bias Training for Certified Staff at 3:00 until 4:30 in the media center.
- Monday, January 11, School Improvement Team Meeting at 3:30 in Conference Room
- Tuesday, January 12, Spirit Night at Barleys
- Friday, January 15, 5th Grade MLK Day of Service and Lunch
- Friday, January 15, End of Quarter
- Monday, January 18, MLK Day-Holiday
- Tuesday, January 19, Optional Teacher Workday
- Wednesday, January 20, Report Cards Due to Ms. Ornato
- Wednesday, January 20, TAPAS grant deadline midnight
- Thursday, January 21, Window for MAP & MClass opens
- Monday, January 25, Open House at Claxton
- Tuesday, January 26, Open House at Claxton
- Wednesday, January 27, Open House at Claxton
- Monday, February 1, ACS Board Meeting at 6:00
- Tuesday, February 2, Faculty Meeting
- Tuesday, February 2, PTO Meeting at North Asheville Community Center at 6:00
- Monday, February 8, School Improvement Team Meeting
- Thursday, February 18, Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center
- Friday, February 19, Early Release Day/Habit 7 with April. The PTO will provide lunch.
- Monday, February 22, Launching Leadership
- Thursday, February 25, Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families