New Teacher News
News for New NPE Teachers from Ms. Welch
Welcome new teachers! We are so glad you are a part of the New Prospect Panther family!
I am Heather Welch, your Curriculum Support Teacher and your Teacher Induction Advisor. I will be supporting you this year. This week you will have a mentor to help with the little things but I am always here to help support you! We will have a check in each month to help you along the way but please feel free to come see me at anytime you need help!
There is a great article below titled "Find Your Marigold". It is worth the read!
Think about these guiding questions for our upcoming check in:
- What is your process for developing classroom rules and procedures?
- How do you address inappropriate behavior?
- How do you encourage students to celebrate other students' success?
Focus: Classroom Management Strategies
Attention Getters without raising your voice-
Use transition slides to help students know the expectations before and/or during a transition or working time. It also saves you from giving instructions/directives a million times! Below is an example of what I used during class changes, work times, etc.
Sign language in the classroom:
- Manage students behavior
- Keep students actively engaged
- Assist students in literacy development of phonics, reading, and spelling
- Assist students in speech development
- Assist students in language development
- Promote positive peer to peer communication and interactions
- Enhance calendar and circle time
- Pair with phonics for alphabet and letter/sound learning
- Pair with sight words with printed text for faster reading development
- Use finger spelling with printed spelling words
- Enhance vocabulary acquisition for new words
- Enhance speech and language development with students with disabilities
- Enhance speech and language development with students who are Second Language Learners (ELL)
See it in action: