Team Tortorello Newsletter
1st Grade Sherwood
Important Dates and Information
Monday, March 2: No School, Casimir Pulaski Day
Dr. Seuss Week/ Read Across America Week
Monday 2/24: Cat in the Hat: Crazy Hat & Hair Day
Tuesday 2/25: I Am Not Getting Up Today: Pajama Day
Wednesday 2/26: Wacky Wednesday: Backwards/Mismatch Day
Thursday 2/27: My Many Colored Days: Favorite Color Day AND
Guest Reader Day at Sherwood
Friday 2/28: The Foot Book: Silly Sock & Slipper Day
Author's Chair Friday, February 28
Looking for Morning Bin Supplies
Over the past two weeks, we've worked on the long o and long u sounds with the CVCe pattern (i.e. tone, tube). We also discussed the long e sounds and patterns (e, ee). We broke words with the VC/CV pattern into syllables and learned how some words that end in y have the long i or long e sound! Students continue sorting their differentiated sorts.
- paper towel tubes
- wrapping paper
- anything that would attract a leprechaun
Questions to Ask Your Child
- Can you brainstorm words that have the long e sound that end in an e? (we, be, me....)
- How do you know if two shapes are congruent? (same size, same shape)
- Can you break 100 down into two smaller numbers?
- What class won the 1st grade iRead trophy?
- When you think of this week, tell me something you are proud of.
- When you think of this week, tell me about a challenge you overcame.
- What is something kind you did this week?