2nd Grade Newsletter
Week 2 October 13th - 16th
In Language arts we will be learning about text features that author’s use to help us learn more about stories. We will also be writing a “How to” paper, and discussing verbs.
This week our focus will bee on two-digit addition strategies. We will work on adding two-digit numbers on a hundreds chart, on a number line, using base ten blocks, and solving addition word problems.
Module 2 includes:
- Identifying fact families
- Using the "counting on" strategy to add numbers
- Using place value to add numbers
- Creating and solving addition word problems
- Identifying time on an analog and digital clock
We will finish up our matter unit this week as the students complete building their bridges!
- How can materials be combined that when put together with other materials can do things that they cannot do alone?
- What physical properties would be important to know about for constructing a bridge?
Later this week we will start our until on light and optics!
Students will investigate the effects on an object by increasing or decreasing amount of light. Vocabulary terms: light energy, sun, opaque, shadow, translucent, transparent.
- How can we measure light?
- How is a shadow formed?
- What is needed to make a shadow?
- How can we observe, sequence and classify various materials based on their ability to transmit light and make shadows?
STUDY HALL DURING RECESS
As the year progresses, we realize that some students may want more time to put finishing touches on their work. We will begin offering a study hall during recess, so that students have the opportunity to complete and turn in assignments.
DATES TO REMEMBER
10/12 No School
10/13 Peterson Pinktober Shirt Money DUE
10/14 Picture Day
10/19 - 10-23 PENNY WARS!!!
Start saving all of your coins!! Pennies will go in the second grade buckets to add points, silver coins we will put in other grade level buckets to take points away from them!!!
10/22 Catch you reading 5:00 -5:30
10/22 Deadline for the first turn of the speedway reading.
Must have read a minimum of 25 books
10/23 Fall Festival 5:30 - 7:30
10/26 - 10/30 Red Ribbon Week! Dress up schedule coming soon!
11/6 Reindeer Romp Registration Deadline
11/6 Thanksgiving Feast
11/17 Cookie Delivery
11/20 Donuts with Dads
11/23- 11/27 Thanksgiving Break