Grade 4 News
Newsletter #1: Where We are in Place and Time
UOI 4: Where We are in Place and Time
An inquiry into orientation in place and time; personal histories; homes and journeys; the discoveries, explorations, and migrations of humankind; the relationships between and the interconnectedness of individuals and civilizations, from local and global perspectives.
Central idea: Migration influences natives and immigrants of a land
Key concepts: Causation, Perspective, Change
Related concepts: migration, push and pull factors
Lines of inquiry:
- Reasons why people migrate (causation)
- Experience of migration (perspective)
- Impacts on local geography and culture (change)
UOI Field Trip
What Are We Learning This Unit?
Unit of Inquiry
Students will learn about instances of and reasons for migration in the lives of different prophets. They will look at migration in general from an Islamic perspective and why Allah (SWT) requested prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to migrate.
Students also will look at themselves and their families and explore why they move from place to place.
- Write about their country of origin and why their family migrated. التحدث عن البلد الأصلى والسبب من التنقل؟
- Use the words why, where, and when to ask questions. لماذا جئت إلى أمريكا؟ من أين أنت؟ متى
- The independent singular and plural pronouns with the present tense. (أنا -نحن- أنت- أنتِ - أنتم- أنتما ).
- They will memorize Ayah number 40 from surat At-Tawba which talks about prophet Muhammad's feeling during the Hijra when he was in the cave of Hira with his friend Abu Bakr.
- Continue reading from Surat Al- Baqarah and applying the Tajweed rules.
- Working on memorization based on the group level.
- فريق الكواكب: memorizing Surat Al-Qalam.
- فريق النجوم والليل: Juz' Amma.
- The migration from Mecca to Madinah and all the evens during this Hijra.
- The brotherhood between Muhajireen and Ansaar.
Students will work on a creative project about migration, highlighting and idea or a feeling linked to the experience of migration such as:
Hope- Nostalgia- links- roots – momentum - material belongings etc
Students will follow a creative process.
Targeted MSDE Standards:
Historical, Cultural, and Social Context:
1. Determine ways in which works of art express ideas about self, other people, places, and events
a. Analyze selected works of art and describe how different artists express ideas and feelings about human experience
b. Describe the process used to select ideas, images, and forms to express meaning in visual compositions
3. Creative Expression and Production:
1. Create images and forms from observation, memory, and imagination and feelings
a. Experiment with media, processes, and techniques to express thoughts and feelings that have personal meaning
a. Create artworks that explore the uses of the elements of art and selected principles of design, such as pattern, repetition, contrast, balance, and variety, to express personal meaning