October 14, 2021
A Note from Ms. Owens
Tonight and tomorrow, our SCA community is mourning the passing of Fr. Ed Stockus. School families have been streaming into the church to pay their respects to Fr. Ed and his family. I worked with Fr. Ed only briefly when I came to St. Catherine when he concelebrated Mass with Fr. Dennis or Fr. Nick. This week, people have shared grateful memories of Fr. Ed coming to visit sick family members in the hospital. Many of our students shared that they remember Fr. Ed presiding over Mass when they were younger. We are grateful for the service, dedication and leadership Fr. Ed gave to St. Catherine and to the wider Church. May God grant Fr. Ed peace and may God grant Fr. Ed's family comfort during these hard days and weeks.
Tomorrow, our Student Council is hosting our Fall Pep Rally for 4th-8th grades. We will be gathering in the South Lot with the rally starting at 1:15 and we expect it will last about an hour. Students will be seated with their homerooms. Parents who would like to come are welcome to attend; however, we ask that parents stay in the designated area (you'll see chairs set out for you) during the rally. Our student leaders have worked hard to plan this event and we are looking forward to seeing them shine!
As we head into Homecoming this weekend, all students, faculty and staff are invited to show their Charger pride by wearing school spirit apparel tomorrow. There is no donation requested. I apologize for the short notice. We included this during our afternoon announcements at the end of the school day today.
On a more serious note, I want to share information about a popular new series on Netflix called, Squid Game. Although the series has significant popularity among teens and tweens, I encourage families to review the content of the series. Below, I have included a link from Common Sense Media, a reliable source for parent-friendly reviews of movies, television shows, website, etc.
A Bit More News
- Homecoming is this Saturday - October 16. Please scroll down for more information about games and events.
- S&T forms are due back to St. Catherine on Tuesday, October 19.
- October's Eat & Earn is Tuesday the 19th at the McDonald's on Cicero. Please scroll down for more important information.
- Reservation forms for Trunk or Treat went home in an earlier White Envelope. You can print a form below if that is more convinient.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please continue to pray for our medical professionals, our first responders and our essential front line workers as they work to ensure the health and safety of our larger community.
CDPH Travel Advisory/Quarantine States - as of 10/13
- All unvaccinated individuals who travel to an orange state must provide proof of a negative Covid test in order to return to school.
- The test must be administered no more than 72-hours prior to return to Illinois.
- The test can also be administered once you have returned to Illinios.
- Home administered tests are not accepted.
Winter Sports Registration
Thank you to everyone who is currently participating in our Fall Sports Programs! We appreciate your willingness to follow the covid regulations set forth by the conference and school.
If your 4th-8th grade child is interested in playing boys basketball or girls volleyball, please complete the registration form via the button below.
- Please complete one form for each child who will be participating in 4th through 8th grade boys basketball or girls volleyball.
- Please have this completed by Friday, October 15, 2021.
If you are interested in coaching please email SCAathleticboard@gmail.com to state your interest. Include "Winter Coaching Interest" in the subject line.
If you have any questions, please contact Kelly Withers, 773-841-9542 or email SCAathleticboard@gmail.com
Homecoming is an exciting time for school athletics. Last week, the 7th and 8th grade girls basketball team kicked off Homecoming week with wins. This Saturday, it is time to celebrate St. Catherine’s School and all of the families who have been a part of our history. Wear your Charger Spirit Gear proudly to represent our theme "Once A Charger, Always A Charger."
We hope to see current students and SCA graduates and their families join us at Saturday’s football games. We will also celebrate the 8th grade football players and cheerleaders with a presentation of the traditional carnation to their parents at the completion of the JV game. A copy of the rosters is available below.
11:15 am 1st parade departs from Lawn Manor to PIE fields
If you would like to participate, please be at Lawn Manor by 10:45 am to decorate your vehicle
12:00 pm 4th Grade Football and Mascot Cheerleaders vs St. Dan’s
1:15 pm 1st parade departs from Lawn Manor to PIE fields
If you would like to participate, please be at Lawn Manor by 12:45 pm to decorate your vehicle
1:30 pm 5th/6th Grade Football and Cheer Game vs St Dan’s
When there is 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter of this game, 8th grade cheer and football parents, please head to the south end zone and line up in alphabetical order
2:30/2:45pm 8th Grade Football/Cheer Flower Presentation
3:00 pm Varsity Football game vs St Dan’s
Please stop by the Concession Stand and visit our hard working volunteers to help support our athletic programming.
Eat & Earn at McDonald's - Tuesday, 10/19
Our next Eat & Earn of the year is Tuesday, October 19. Stop by the McDonald's on Cicero between 4-8PM. During that time, 20% of all sales will go to St. Catherine.
1. This is only a drive-thru event. Due to staffing issues, we would like all families to come through the drive-thru only.
2. Please bring cash for apple pies! All proceeds from apple pie purchases are donated back to SCA!
According to the website, they have begun a waitlist due to the overwhelming response.
The Sunday Collection
Visit the link below to set up your recurring contribution. Donors can change the amount of the contribution or pause it at any time.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
This full-service fencing company is owned by an SCA family.
This certified public accounting firm is owned by an SCA family.
This funeral home is owned by an SCA family.
Here is another local restaurant where an SCA family is among the owners.
This breakfast and lunch spot is owned by an SCA family.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Friday, October 15
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
Saturday, October 16
Sunday, October 17
- All Parish Family Mass at 9:30AM (6th grade hosting)
Tuesday, October 19
- Tuition Exclusion Day for October
- Eat & Earn at McDonalds
- S&T Order Forms due
- Confirmation Meeting at 7PM in church
Friday, October 22
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
- Baby Bottles due back to school
- Trunk or Treat
Sunday, October 24
- Enrollment Mass for Sacramental Students (2nd & 8th grades) at 9:30AM
Tuesday, October 26
- Parish Living Rosary at 5:45PM
Friday, October 29
- All-School Liturgy at 8:30AM
- Halloween Parade at 1PM
Sunday, October 31
- Vacation Bible Camp Reunion Mass at 9:30AM