To the Point
Prairie Point Staff Newsletter
Issue #1: Monday, July 28, 2014
In this first Issue, we have included some important information for you as you begin planning for your return to school.
A Message to All at Prairie Point
On August 28th, the message will continue in our first all-school assembly of the year. Our guest will be Amy Logan, the author of A Girl with a Cape: The true story about the superhero in all of us. Her story begins:
Can someone so small make a difference at all?
Can someone like you make the world seem brand new?
I'm not sure you know this, but I tell you it's true.
It's a story of a superhero...of a kid just like you.
So sit back, bundle up...take a breath...let it out...
A Girl With a Cape is what this is about.
News & Info
When you are working in your classrooms, please recognize that the custodians still have several projects to complete prior to the start of school. If you need help with something, please send an email to Steve. Also, please make sure to bring any garbage downstairs to the dumpster in the hallway. Please do not leave it outside of your classroom.
Please check your mailbox regularly. Mail is starting to arrive, and several of your boxes are full already. Also, mailboxes were shifted, so double check in case yours has moved.
Save the Date: Preview Night!
- Welcome to the K/1 Team - Kerra McCoskey! Kerra joins us from Churchill & will be teaching a morning section of half-day Kindergarten.
- Welcome to the 2nd Grade Team - Tristin Holman! Tristin is joining us from Old Post. She is replacing Lisa Paluch, who has moved up to teach 3rd grade.
- We are excited to add the following staff members to TEAM:
*Katie Lund! Katie is replacing Jessica Mateja as our half-time speech path. Jessica is now the building speech path at BH.
*Mindy Long is the new building special education coordinator. Mindy is joining District 308 and Kendall County Special Education from the Eisenhower Special Education Cooperative.
- Jake Austin has accepted a position as the full-time PE teacher at Bristol Grade School in Yorkville. We wish him all the best! We will announce Jake's replacement to you once that person is hired.
If you're interested in an account for the 2014-2015 school year, please let me know by Wednesday, August 6th.
We Got New Copiers!
In order to log in to copy, scan, or print, you will need to have your ID badge. You will scan your ID badge on the attached barcode reader, and will be able to release print jobs or do other tasks from there.
The copiers are pretty self-explanatory and easy to use. We will send you copier information and train you on it's use once school starts. Don't hesitate to ask Kim, Laurel, Jen, or I for help if you need it.
Writer's Workshop Chat
Wednesday, Aug. 6th, 9-11am
The topics discussed will be:
- Overview of the Writer's Workshop Philosophy
- Key components of Writer's Workshop
- Ideas for Beginning the Year
- Begin reviewing Unit #1
- Set dates and topics for future meetings during Quarter 1
I hope you are able to join us! If so, I'll be providing snacks and coffee. If not, we'll make sure to have a record of the conversation and somewhere to access anything that is shared.
In preparation for beginning our journey together regarding Writer's Workshop, it would be helpful to review the following materials.
A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop - Chapters 1-8
Preview Unit #1 Guide
A Guide to the Writing Workshop - Chapters 1-8 and 12
A Guide to the Common Core Writing Workshop - Chapters 1-4; and 7
Preview Unit #1 Guide
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Rising Star Meeting
Monday, Aug. 11th, 9am-12pm
- Look back on last year
- Look ahead to this year's priorities & goals
- Discuss plans for the opening days of school.