Talley Street Update
August 25, 2022
October 12, 2023
Dear Talley Families,
We are looking at beginning a chess club at Talley. We need to determine the amount of interest from our families. Please use this link to complete the chess club form. Have a great afternoon!
Important Upcoming Dates
- Latin American Festival: Friday, October 13 from 5-7 PM
- Homecoming Spirit Week: October 16-20
- 3rd Grade Family Movie Night: Friday, October 20 at 5:30
- Talley Trivia Night: Thursday, October 26 at 5
- Coffee Chat with Counselors: Tuesday, October 31 at 8:30, Talley Media Center
- School-Wide Pink-Out Day: Monday, October 30
- Little Shop Spirit Day: Friday, November 10
- Family STEM Night: Thursday, November 16 from 5-7:30
Early Release Dates: Dismissal at 12:15 on these Wednesdays: October 25, November 29, December 20, January 31, February 2, March 27, April 24
Talley Rally: All Talley Rally dates as they stand currently can be found on the school calendar
Little Shop In-Store Book Fair
The Talley Library has opted not to host a traditional book fair this year, and instead has a reimagined book fair coming in May. More information to come later!
Mark your calendars! On Friday, November 10, we will be hosting an in-store spirit day at Little Shop of Stories! The event will be going on all day. Share that you're with Talley at checkout and a portion of the proceeds will come back to support the library's events and programs! Knock out some holiday shopping while your kids are at school, and come back after school hours to participate in some fun activities for the family. Who doesn't need a new book to kick off the cozy season?
Questions? Contact Mrs. Long (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Coffee Chat with Talley's Counselors
To cap off National Bullying Prevention Month, our school counselors Ms. Weaver and Mr. Alan will host a coffee chat to offer an overview of our bullying prevention and conflict resolution lessons on October 31, from 8:00-8:30 in the Media Center. We hope to equip families with effective language and strategies to further conversations around safety in and out of school. If you would like to join us, please register here so we make sure to get enough coffee! We look forward to seeing you then!
New Spanish Teacher - Classroom Need
Hello Talley families and caregivers! Let me introduce myself as the new Spanish teacher: Ms. Wollin! I am very excited to start some language fun with your students! I am planning a fun weather game for the 10/17-10/14 rotation of the Talley 6-day schedule, and so I am asking a favor. If you can, please send your students to school with the following clothing items for the day they have Spanish during the 10/17-10/14 rotation. If you have extra to donate for other students, please put them in the Spanish clothing donation box in the lobby on or before 10/17. If this is not possible, your student will still be able to fully participate. Thank you so much and I look forward to getting to know your family!
Latin American Festival
Mark your calendars - Talley's Latin American festival is coming up this Friday, October 13, from 5-7 PM!
Homecoming Spirit Week
Spirit Week is October 16-20!
3rd Grade Family Movie Night
See below for more information about our 3rd grade family movie night on October 20!
Talley Trivia Night
Check your student's folder for a chance to attend our fun family Trivia Night! Everyone can participate-questions will be for both adults and kids! Come help support activities like the first day of school bash! We can't wait to see you! If you need another flyer to register, you can find one here!
Family STEM Night
We are thrilled to announce Talley's First Annual Family STEM Night! With a generous donation by the Decatur Education Fund, we are looking forward to having an AMAZING group of STEM experts join us as well as interactive family sessions where you can learn and build with your child. You will also take home activities that can be done as a family. We need volunteers, so sign up by clicking on the image below!
- READING RALLY kicks off tomorrow!! (Oct 13-19). This is the PTO’s big fall fundraiser, and this year’s theme is “Fall in Love With Reading.” Thank you to all who donated books for the swap happening tomorrow. We are excited to see what all the students pick out to take home! BINGO cards are coming home today in folders, and you can check out all the details online: talleypto.org, then READ, READ, READ! Then come visit the Reading Rally table during the DAC’s Latin America Festival event tomorrow from 5-7pm at Talley. Join us for fun and free activities—enjoy cider and snacks, Mad Libs, temporary tattoos, and fall crafts kick off this fall fundraiser and literacy drive.
- WALK N ROLL: Congrats to Nukumori for having the most walk-n-rollers last Friday and winning 10 house points!
- CSD DIWALI: Come celebrate Diwali on Saturday 10/28, 5-7pm at Oakhurst Elementary brought to you by the CSD PTA/O DEI committees. Food, drinks, holiday crafts, books, music, performances, FIREWORKS, and more! RSVP Here! Volunteer Here! NaanStop will have a special Diwali meal to preorder soon. Questions: contact email@example.com.
- DEI SPEAKER SERIES: The PTO's DEI committee presents: "The 6 Myths - Ways White Folks Avoid Race." This workshop aims to help all of us deepen our understanding of race and racism. It will also strengthen our commitment to making our community a better place.The program will meet monthly and combines short readings and videos for individual and group reflection. Facilitated by Talley Street parent and educator, Charlie Copp. Community Reflections (Zoom): Oct 19, Nov 9, Dec 7 from 8-9pm.To participate, fill out this Google Form. Email questions for Charlie Copp to firstname.lastname@example.org
- GARDEN COMMITTEE: needs volunteers for a special work session on Oct. 21 from 9a-12p. They will be assembling a greenhouse and redoing the ground cover and pollinator beds. Please bring shovels and wheelbarrows if you have them. 3 House points for students who come to help. The garden also needs your leaves. If you have bags of leaves only, please reach out to email@example.com and she will come pick them up.
- YEARBOOK PRESALES are open! Secure yours at the early bird rate of $20 until Dec 31. On January 1, the price rises to $25. Don't miss out! Order at yearbookordercenter.com with code 25231
- INSTAGRAM: Did you know, you don’t have to have an instagram account to see all of our posts about activities and events? Just bookmark www.instagram.com/talleypto in your browser to stay up-to-date.
Stay up to date with all PTO events and news by following us on Instagram and Facebook and becoming a member on our PTO website.
Is your child interested in STEAM? Sign them up for Super Saturday today! CSD teachers & staff will guide K-5 students through STEAM inspired lessons at no charge to families. The time is from 9a - 12p at Beacon Hill Middle School.
Grading Feedback Surveys
On Tuesday, October 10th, the initial draft of the grading policy was introduced during the CSD board meeting. We kindly request teachers, students, and parents to offer their feedback on this draft by participating in the following surveys. These surveys will remain accessible from October 11, 2023, through midnight on October 19, 2023.
Progress Report Notification
We are excited to inform you that your child's progress report for mid-semester will be available in the Parent Portal at 8:00 AM Friday, October 13th.
We want to emphasize that these progress reports are not static grades. Instead, they represent a snapshot of your child's academic journey at this point in the semester. Teachers will continue to enter grades and feedback throughout the term, and these progress reports will evolve accordingly.
Please take this opportunity to review your child's progress, celebrate their achievements, and identify areas where they may need additional support. Remember that open communication between parents, students, and teachers is key to a successful educational experience.
If you have any questions or concerns about the progress reports or your child's academic performance, please don't hesitate to reach out to the teachers or school administration. We are here to support your child's growth and development.
Flu Vaccine Event
The CSD School Health Team is partnering with the DeKalb County Board of Health to offer flu vaccines to the City Schools of Decatur school community. Students, staff, and families are invited to participate. Parents/Guardians interested in their student receiving the flu vaccine must be present at the time of service. Please bring your ID and insurance card for billing. Private and Medicaid Insurance is accepted, with the exception of Kaiser and TriCare Insurance plans.
Ebster Rec Center 3-5 Grade Halloween Jam
Ebster Rec Center is hosting a halloween spectacular for students in grades 3-5! See the flyer below for more information.
Color Guard Youth Night
Calling all CSD K-8th grade students!
Please check out the details below if you're interested in seeing what it's like to be a part of the DHS Marching Band Color Guard with a pregame performance opportunity!
DHS Girls' Basketball Camp
The Lady Bulldogs Basketball Program will be hosting a one day camp as a fundraiser October 28th, from 9am-noon at DHS Gym for the upcoming season. Come out and learn some skills, drills, and have some fun! If you all could share this information with your students and parents, this would be greatly appreciated.
Elementary Girls' Lacrosse
See below for a flyer with information on the elementary girls' lacrosse program that practices at Legacy Park!
Girl Scouts Ice Cream Social
Join us to learn how to embark on your own Girl Scouts adventure!
Thursday, October 19 at 6:00 p.m.
Cremalosa American Gelato
2657 East College Avenue
Suite B3 - Plaza Level
Decatur, Georgia 30030
Bring your grown-up(s) along.
We are actively recruiting adult volunteers at this event!
Support Positive Behavioral Health with the Decatur Education Foundation
At the Decatur Education Foundation, we're passionately committed to transforming the lives of our students and creating an environment where they can truly thrive. We understand that there are significant challenges that our students face every day — Last year, we provided over $28,000 in behavioral health grants through Joe’s Fund and empowered 60 CSD employees and community members with vital suicide intervention skills through the ASIST training.
But here's the truth: We can't do it alone. We need your help. By supporting the Decatur Education Foundation, you're investing in the future of our community. You're ensuring that our students have the support they need to overcome challenges and thrive. Join our Step Up Circle, a circle of dedicated families and local businesses who make an annual commitment to #ourkids. Discover how you can be a catalyst for change by visiting www.decatureducationfoundation.org. Together, we can make a difference.
Season of Giving
A Season of Giving is a neighbor led organization which helps purchase gifts directly for local children and seniors!
To apply for assistance, please complete an online application at https://aseasonofgiving.org/child-application/ by November 4th.
**NEW** Applications may be submitted for any child ages infant through 12th grade!
If you are not in need of assistance, please consider supporting our efforts. To become a donor for A Season of Giving, complete the form at https://aseasonofgiving.org/sponsor/. To volunteer, complete the form at https://aseasonofgiving.org/volunteer/.
Social Media and Contact Information
You can find more information on the following Facebook pages:
Talley Street PE
And these Instagrams:
For news from our counselors, check out their website:
For more about the Talley Street PTO, visit their website here: https://talleypto.org/.