A Changing Society, A Modern World
by Ellie Kee
Struggle for Civil Rights/ Civil Disobedience
- In 1885, Kansas elected an African American state auditor named Edward McCabe
- On May 17, 1954, the Supreme Court unanimously overturned Plessy v. Ferguson, and they were ruling in favor of Plaintiffs
The Cold War
- The Soviet Union was a Communist country
- After WWII, Korea was split in half along the 38th parallel
The Nuclear Age
- The Soviet Union successfully launched the first satellite, Sputnik, into Space
- in 1945, the US used an atomic bomb in Japan
- Japanese fighter planes bombed Pearl Harbor. The day after the United States declared war on Japan.
- Victory banners were hung around homes to remind them of sons and daughters overseas.
- The United States would use conscriptions, which involved people rafting into the army and having to go to war if needed according to law.