News from Room 4
September 1, 2017
First Day of School
What we will be learning next week:
* Language Arts Unit 1Week 1- What makes you special?
- Vocabulary: genuine, interest, cheerful, prefer, unique
- Spelling: (Short a) man, ran, can, cat, hat, mat; not, up
- Comprehension Skill: Character and Setting
* Math- Counting and comparing numbers
Next week we will be focusing on Habit 1, Be Proactive from 7 Habits of a happy child. Here are some Baby Steps you can encourage your child to do at home. They are also great discussion topics as well. We will be making a poster, acting situations out, and discussing, how to be proactive in the room as well.
Baby Steps from The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey
(We will read the story about Sammy and Allie on Tuesday)
1. The next time you feel bored, do something nice for someone else, like Sammy did for Allie.
2. Try doing something today that you’ve always been scared to do. Make a new friend, raise your hand in class, or clean the toilet.
3. The next time you get mad and want to say something mean or rude, bite your tongue instead and don’t say it.
4. If you do something wrong, say you’re sorry before someone asks you to apologize
-I have had a wonderful week getting to know your very sweet children and look forward to talking with you at Back to School Night.
-Next week I will start reading groups and will level your child in a leveled reading bin however, the books won't go home until the following week. We will start spelling tests on Friday. We will learn these words in the classroom and practice them throughout the week but you may want to practice them with your child as well. See above for the list of words.
-Friday folders went home today and will continue to go home each Friday. Please take everything out of the folders and return them to school the following week. Today a very important yellow envelope was included in the folder. Please fill out all paperwork and return ASAP. The office really needs ALL papers filled out and signed. The first Friday of the month I will also send home a monthly picture of your child. Enjoy and see how the change through out the year!
- Emergency Packets: Today your child will bring home a yellow envelope that contains forms to be completed by Friday, Sept. 8th.
- Back to School Night: Can't wait to see you all on Wed. Sept 6th 6-7pm in Room 4. I will go over the ins and outs of 1st grade.
- Labor Day: NO SCHOOL on Monday, Sept 4th
- Picture Day: Monday, Sept 11th. SAY CHEESE ... come dressed with a smile!
- Back to School Family BBQ: Thursday, Sept 14th 4:30-6:30pm. Join the SSF tradition for some music, games, and a food truck on the blacktop.