ALittle Bit About the Dutch
The Dutch invented the thimble, the microscope, and the compact disc.
Amsterdam is the dutch national capital.
Dutch explorers were the first Europeans to discover Australia and New Zealand in the 17th century.
The Dutch are famous for their klompen(wooden shoes).
Orange carrots like the ones we eat today first appeared in the Netherlands in the 16th century.
Almost every Dutch person has a bicycle. The country has twice as many bikes as cars.
Two-thirds of Dutch people live below sea level.
- Amsterdam is home to more than 1,280 bridges.
This is a picture of the Dutch flag.
This is a desert called boterkoek and it comes from the Dutch culture.
This is a painting of a famous artist Vincent Van Gogh (pronounced go)
A Dutch Recipie
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 1/4 cups of packed brown sugar
- 2 cups of all purpose flower
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of blanched slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 12 inch jelly roll pan . You can also use a 9 x13 inch rectangular baking pan.
- Cream together the brown sugar and the butter or margarine. Add the almond extract.
- Sift and add flour to the creamed sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Separate the egg, and add the egg yolk to the dough. Mix again.
- Press into the greased sponge roll tin, and glaze with the lightly-beaten egg white. Sprinkle with flaked or slivered almonds.
- Bake approx 20 minutes. When cool, cut into bars.