NTZB Parent Bulletin
October 15, 2021
Hello New Tech Families,
Hard to believe that we ended our first quarter of the school year last Friday! Please keep an eye out for your student’s midterm grade reports, which were sent home in the mail today. This is a great time to log into Echo and check your student’s progress. If your student is struggling in a class, talk to your student and encourage them to meet with their teacher and discuss strategies for raising their grades. Also, reach out to our teachers for insights into what your student can do to improve their grades. Early intervention and communication are extremely important to keep our students on the right track! I am happy to report that we had 97% of our students in attendance for our first school-wide Assessment Day on October 13th. I am proud to say our students took the test seriously and put forth a great amount of effort! Please review the Bulletin to learn about some new exciting opportunities, such as our After-Hours Tutoring and Red Ribbon Week activities scheduled to begin October 25, 2021. Again, I look forward to creating more great days for our students and staff!
RED RIBBON WEEK
The 2021 National Red Ribbon Week Theme is Drug Free Looks Like Me™ and is a reminder that everyday Americans across the country make significant daily contributions to their communities by being the best they can be because they live Drug-Free! (From: https://www.redribbon.org/)
For more information about the history of Red Ribbon Week and the death of DEA Agent Enrique "Kiki" Camarena that inspired the campaign, visit https://www.redribbon.org/about.
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH COMES TO A CLOSE
- Studying the geography of the Spanish speaking world
- Watching the biopic feature film Selena and learning about a young woman who still remains an inspiration today
- Learning the history behind the celebration through readings in Spanish
- Discussing in Spanish the topic and debunking some common misconceptions
- Reading biographies and holding discussions about the contribution of people from Spanish speaking countries from Latin America in the U.S.A. and compared this to the contribution their family members made daily to our society to embrace the pride for our culture and identity
- Researching and creating brochures of all Central American Countries where students played the role of travel agents to catch the attention of “tourists”
- Making passports in class and earning stamps from each country “visited”
Many of our students share in this rich and wonderful heritage and New Tech was proud to celebrate them, their families, their culture, and their history.
UPCOMING POP-UP MARKETS
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
3:00 - 5:00 PM
College of Lake County
19351 W. Washington St. .
Grayslake, IL 60030
Thursday, November 4, 2021
4:00 - 6:00 PM
3106 Belvidere Rd
Waukegan, IL 60085
Everyone who needs groceries is welcome – no ID, proof of income, or referral is needed. For more information, visit solvehungertoday.org.
NORTH SUBURBAN CONFERENCE CROSS COUNTRY MEET
Saturday, October 16, 2021
Varsity boys start at 9:00 AM
Varsity girls start at 9:40 AM
JV and Freshman levels will follow
If you are available, come out and support our BEES!
IMPORTANT DATES/UPCOMING EVENTS
- Thursday, 11/11/21: Veteran’s Day Recognition Program-TBD (School in session)
- Tuesday, 11/23/21: NT Early Release (1:35 PM)
- Wednesday, 11/24/21: NO SCHOOL-School Holiday
- Thursday, 11/25/21: NO SCHOOL- Thanksgiving Day Holiday
- Friday, 11/26/21: NO SCHOOL- Day after Thanksgiving
- Tuesday 12/14/21: Exams- NT Early Release (1:04 PM)
- Wednesday 12/15/21: Exams- NT Early Release (1:04 PM)
- Thursday 12/16/21: Exams -NT Early Release (11:25 AM)
- Thursday 12/16/21: End of Quarter 2
- Friday 12/17/21: NO SCHOOL- School Holiday