A Newsletter for Ridgeview Middle School (Issue 1: 9.2022)
The Principal's Post
Dear Ridgeview Families:
We are already moving full speed ahead into the new school year! This year our theme at Ridgeview is "Raising the Bar for Student Success"! We want all of our students to challenge themselves to raise up to the next level both academically and behaviorally. In order to achieve our goals, we will need the support of each Ridgeview family. I encourage each parent/guardian to become or continue to be an active participant during the middle school years. Often times parents/guardians want to pull back and give their child more freedom. In my experience as a seasoned middle school educator, I have found just the opposite is needed. Your child will need you even more as they navigate their way through adolescence.
Collectively, at Ridgeview we want to work with each family to help your child, "Dream. Achieve. and Succeed."
Natalie M. James, Principal
Nurse Gray Shares the Nitty Gritty
The Immunization Exclusion Day is (Friday, September 23rd). That means your 7th grader needs to have a Tdap and Meningococcal vaccine.
Here's three ways to get your child's vaccination records to me by Friday, September 23, 2022:
1. Bring a copy to the school
2. Fax a copy to the school at 614.365.5505
2. Have your physician email firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance and Tardy Policy
All students are expected to be at school every day on time.
Students will be counted tardy after 7:30 a.m. Students who arrive after 7:30 a.m. must report to the office to receive a tardy permit to class. If a student is to be absent from school, the parent/guardian is expected to call the school before 9:30 a.m. to report the absence. A note from the parent/guardian explaining the absence is required when the student returns to school.
Students will be excused for an absence only for the following reasons: “personal illness or quarantine, illness or death in the immediate household, emergencies or any other occurrences or situations which, in the judgment of the superintendent or designee, may necessitate absence from school for good or sufficient cause, religious holiday, medical or dental appointment and college visitation.” Habitual excused or unexcused absences or tardiness will result in a referral to the school social worker. Students who have 10% or more unexcused absences may fail a course or grade. Students are also expected to arrive to school on time.
Teachers will address tardiness to class. Repeated tardiness to class will result in
disciplinary actions. All student attendance guidelines as defined in House Bill 410 are followed at Ridgeview.
Attendance email: email@example.com
Attendance phone number: 1.380.997.6994
* Click on the graphic to the right and go to page 3 of the Ridgeview MS Family & Student Handbook 2022-2023.
PBIS Corner - Behavior Expectations
RMS has three behavior expectations for students.
Students are expected to be RMS: be RESPONSIBLE, be a MEMBER, and be SAFE at all times.
Click on the graphic to the right and go to pages 4-6 of the Ridgeview MS Family &
Student Handbook 2022-2023 so you and your student can become familiar and memorize the RMS expectations. These expectations are to be practiced daily-
in the HALL ... in the CLASSROOM ... in the RESTROOM ... in the CAFETERIA
in the AUDITORIUM ... on the BUS ... at RECESS
at ENTRY and DISMISSAL ... AGAINST BULLYING
Be RMS Proud:
Be RESPONSIBLE. Be a MEMBER. Be SAFE.
BE "RMS" Golden Ticket - Too Good Eats - Pop Bar Grade Level Parties
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!
Qualification Period: September 9th - 30th
Event Date: Friday, September 30th
HOW DOES A STUDENT QUALIFY TO HAVE THEIR NAME ENTERED INTO THE DRAWING?
- Follow the school rules - "BE RMS"
- Go to class On Time and No Tardies
- Listen to ALL adults in the building
- Display RMS behavior throughout the building, at recess, and on the bus
- NO 190s, REMOVALS, SUSPENSIONS, EXPULSIONS, BUS WRITE-UPS, PEAK/ISS or AFTER SCHOOL DETENTIONS
- The administration will have final say in who will be eligible to be entered into the drawing.
*45 students will be selected from each grade level.
Calendar of Events
- August 24 - September 30: Ready Diagnostic Reading & Math - BOY
- September 6 - 20: PTA Fall Flower Fundraiser (see how to order in the PTA article)
- September 22, Thursday, 5:30 - 7:00 pm: Open House
- September 22, Thursday: The First Day of Fall
- October 3, Monday: Results Available for the Ready Diagnostic Reading & Math - BOY
- October 6, Thursday, 6:00 pm: PTA Meeting
- October 14, Friday: No School for Students (Professional Development Day for Teachers)
- October 25, Tuesday: End of First Quarter
- October 26, Wednesday: No School for Students (Records Day for Teachers)
Ridgeview Middle School: Vision, Mission & Core Values
Each student at RMS will show a year's worth of growth or more in reading and math as measured by the District and/or state assessments by the end of each school year.
We exist to create an environment where students are educated through a lens of culturally responsive teaching, mindfulness, and the use of high-quality data. Collectively, we aim to advocate, challenge, and support student growth in all areas of development.
THE CORE VALUES
1. Create a safe, encouraging, inclusive, and supportive environment.
2. Maintain high expectations.
3. Inspire student success.
4. Demonstrate respect through empathy and inclusivity
Where there is no vision, there is no hope.
George Washington Carver, inventor and botanist
Celebrate Diversity in September!
Click on each of the links below to learn, have fun, be kind, and celebrate:
- September: National Recovery Month, designed to bring attention to mental health & addiction recovery.
- September 15 - October 15: Hispanic Heritage Month, designed to celebrate the contributions.
- September 20: HeForShe (Women) designed to promote gender equality.
- September 25-27: Rosh Hashanah, a celebration of the Jewish New Year.
Remember we are better when we work together!
Help Your Child Excel in Academics
The Columbus City School mission is --
Each student is highly educated,
prepared for leadership and service, and
empowered for success as a citizen in a global community.
Click here or on the graphic above to get the free download entitled, Guide to Student Success 2022 - 2023 School Year. Become informed so you can assist your student in reaching academic goals!
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RMS FAMILIES
1. NOT A MEMBER? BECOME A PTA MEMBER: Please consider signing up as a member of the PTA at https://rmsraiderspta.memberhub.com/store.
2. EMAILS: If you currently are not receiving occasional email updates from the PTA, please email us at RidgeviewMSPTA@gmail.com and ask to be added to the list to make sure that you are aware of upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.
3. FALL FLOWER FUNDRAISER: The RMS September Fall Flower Fundraiser kicked off on September 6th, Tuesday. Remember sales close on September 20th. Keep an eye on your email for the Flower Distribution date.
4. BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT: The PTA will continue work on the Beautification project on Saturday, September 17th beginning at 10 a.m. Check out the pictures below.
5. WANT TO DONATE TO PTA: General donations are always appreciated (no amount is too small) write your check to Ridgeview PTA and drop it off at the school or reach us online at https://rmsraiderspta.memberhub.com/store/items/114887
6. OTHER WAYS TO FINANCIALLY SUPPORT THE PTA: Here are some no cost/minimal time options to support the PTA:
● Download the Box Tops app, add Ridgeview PTA as your school and scan all your receipts
o If this is your first-time registering be sure to use RMS code: HXSC8XH4 – we
receive a little bonus
o No cost to you and RMS PTA does not receive copies of your receipts
● Make RMS PTA your organization on the Kroger Community Rewards program
o At Kroger.com or on your Kroger App, under Rewards, then Community Rewards,
add the RMS organization number 84721
o No cost to you and RMS PTA does not receive your personal information
● Make “PTA Ohio Congress Ridgeview Middle” – your organization on Amazon Smile
o Sign in using your existing Amazon account
o Add PTA Ohio Congress Ridgeview Middle as your organization
o Shop through smile.amazon.com
o No cost to you and RMS PTA does not receive your personal information
7. SAVE THESE DATES:
o October 6, Thursday from 6:00 - 7:00 pm: The Next PTA Zoom Meeting
That's it for now and we look forward to working together to support RMS!
Mrs. Pompi, President
Ms. Manko, Vice President
RMS PTA Needs Your Support: Click on the Volunteer Graphic to Join. Support the Fall Flower Fundraiser!
The RMS PTA Beautification Project Has Begun! Help us Finish! Volunteer at RMS on September 17, Saturday at 10:00 a.m.
The first step was to cover the ground with plastic and now, step two is to cover the plastic with mulch. We need your help.
The PTA has purchased two new tables to enable students to eat lunch outside. Help us beautify this area.
Ms. Cegala's students painted the utility box to best fit in with the new beautification plan.
Need Help? Check Out Our Community Partners
LSS 211 offers services from homeless shelters to senior living. Call 211.
- City of Columbus CARES Act offers assistance with utilities.
- Cap4Kids provides resources for families in the areas of meals, housing, utilities, mental health, and lots more!
- Charity Newsies offers clothing assistance & winter coats.
- Charitable Pharmacy of Central Ohio offers pharmacy services and medicines, counseling on proper medication usage, health screenings, wellness education, and social program assistance for those who cannot afford them. (614) 227-0301.
- Franklin County Children Services 2022 Guide resource guide provides information on local emergency or non-emergency assistance to families.
- Mid Ohio Food Bank provides food locations by zip code.
- OhioKAN ensures every kinship and adoptive family who wants support navigating the resources available to them can get it.
- Project Connect provides help to families living in shelter, car, motel, campground, and doubled-up families.
- Emergency Broadband Benefit provides relief for broadband services and a laptop, computer, or tablet.
Ridgeview Middle School
Ridgeview Attendance email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ridgeview Attendance phone number: 380.997.6994
FACTline Email: email@example.com
FACTline Phone Number: 614.221.FACT (614.221.3228)
Customer Relations Phone Number: 614.365.8888
Customer Relations Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Ambassador Debora Myles: Google Voice 740.966.1181