Rainville Class News
News for the month of November!
Parent Teacher Conferences
Thank you to everyone for attending Parent Teacher Conferences last week. Our face to face connection highly impacts how I can best teach (and reach) your child. Looking forward to staying connected regularly until our next conference. Please contact me anytime with any questions, concerns, or simply to check-in.
- Books & Beyond Reminder : Remember that our system to earn a Gold Medal for reading this year has changed. Kids need to regularly login to http://www.goldmedalreading.org to enter book titles (page #s) they have read. I then go into the system as the teacher and approve the books, to move their level. Every 300 pgs = 1 level, 8 levels = Gold Medal. With 30 min of pleasure reading per night at home, students can easily achieve this goal. We just completed The Cricket in Times Square for pleasure reading in class; so be sure to add 150 pages to your child's account!
- Edmodo: Have you signed up for a parent account yet? With each week, more of our classroom content, assignments, and now grades are posted on our secure, social learning network. Less graded work will continue to be sent home, but will be available on Edmodo. You, as the parent, can even comment on your child's work or read my communication with your child. See attachment for Edmodo Parent codes. Email me if you need further instructions on how to sign up at www.edmodo.com
- Wiki Resources listed below: Ask your child to help you login OR check the plastic sleeve in the front of their binder for login info. http://web.sbsd.k12.ca.us/groups/SSF_R25/
- Locate a parent's email address for a playdate or b-day party invite!
- Check nightly homework assignments!
- Remember that Monday, November 12 is a school holiday in honor of Veteran's Day!
- Monday, November 19 - Friday, November 23 school will be out of session for the Thanksgiving week. Enjoy this treasured time with your family!
Science Chapter 2 Ecosystems:
Test on Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Study Guide will be given on : November 8th. Students will then have 1 week to complete the study guide and prepare for the test. I will go over the study guide with them in class approximately 2 days after they receive it, to be sure they are studying the correct info. Note that the study guide is EXACTLY what is on the test.
- Test will be given on : Wednesday, November 14
- Try using quizlet.com or the 'Flashcards' App (which work together) as virtual flashcards to study from. The kids should search for the 'Creator' - 'Cara Spitzmiller' and they will find my 'Science Chapter 2' flashcards with the study guide (the kids know this process). The virtual cards will not be posted until right after they finish completing the study guide on their own.
Social Studies Chapter 2 Native Americans in Early California:
Test on Thursday, Nov. 29
- Study Guide will be given on : November 14th. Students will then have 1 week to complete the study guide and prepare for the test. I will go over the study guide with them in class approximately 2 days after they receive it, to be sure they are studying the correct info. Note that the study guide is EXACTLY what is on the test.
- Test will be given on : Thursday, Nov. 29
- See 3rd bullet above (Science section) for info on virtual flashcards. These will also be posted on the site, search 'Creator' - 'Cara Spitzmiller' and 'Social Studies Chapter 2.'
- Keep studying those pre-tests guides every Thursday night to prepare for Friday tests. Remember if your child is struggling on a specific concept try re-teaching the lesson thru the Edmodo video lessons.
- Long division instruction begins this week. The use of graph paper for all practice is essential to track correct place value.
- We will begin a new narrative writing piece this week. Ask your child about the 'smarter than average dog' they discover and the adventure they have, or the problem they must solve. After Thanksgiving, we will shift our focus to non-fiction writing.
English Language Arts
- We will continue our studies of Unit 2, Making a Difference.