Mrs. Hopgood's 4th Grade Class
Week #9 Week of October 17, 2016
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND DATES!!!!
Tuesday Oct. 18 Cookie Dough Delivery
Thursday, Oct. 20th Cash Dr Fundraiser
Friday, Oct. 21st Cash Dr Fundraiser
Oct. 24th-28th Red Ribbon Week/Bookfair
Tuesday, Oct.25th Donuts for Dad (During Book Fair Week)
Tuesday, Oct. 25th First Grade music performance
Tuesday, Oct. 25th PTA General Meeting
Thursay, Oct. 27th Mad Scientist
Friday, Oct. 28th Fish Fry and Carnival (PTA)
Friday, Oct. 28th Kinder Fairy Tale Parade
Monday, Oct. 31st Deadline Reflections
Be sure to look at all the after school clubs offered by Mr. Duc
What We Are Learning This Week in Mrs. Hopgood's Class!!
Math: Multiplication Strategies/Strip Diagrams
Science: Forms of Energy
Social Studies: European Explorers
Writing: Personal Narratives
Reading: Text Features and Text Structures
Language: Irregular Verbs, Adverbs, and Prepositional Phrases.
Library is every Wednesday. Don't forget your books!
Vocabulary Words for the Week.
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- conclude - to arrive at a judgment by reasoning
- justify - to provide evidence or reasons for
- inactive - not doing anything
- simile - a comparison statement that uses "like" or "as"
- persuade - convince, or influence
- absorb - to soak up
- diagram - drawing or sketch that makes something clear
- evaporation - process of becoming vapor
- sphere - a round, three-dimensional figure
- sentence fragment - an incomplete phrase without a subject and verb
- commutative property - ability to reorder numbers in a sum or product
- distributive property - a process in math that allows you to break factors into their parts, multiply, and then re-add
- adobe - brick made of earth and straw
- recreation - any form of play or relaxation
- service - work done for others
- inspiring - relates to that which is motivating
- approximately - close to, around
- graduated cylinder - container with marks for measuring volume
- investigation - process of searching for information
- release - to set free from confinement or restraint
SNACKS!!!! (WE HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY IN OUR ROOM) PLEASE BE AWARE!!!
We like snacks, unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity to bring a snack to eat. IF you are able, please send goldfish or Chex Mix in a bulk size for those students that are not able to do so. I will distribute the extra snacks to those who need it.
Please do the following with your child:
Check and sign reading log nightly.
Check that math homework is completed nightly.
Check that vocabulary homework is completed nightly.
Look through Tuesday's mail (keep the work). This is how I will send home graded and ungraded classroom work.