Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 12-14-15
Our Class Motto: Perseverance
"Being persistent & never giving up!"
Thursday, Dec 17th: Holiday party @ 1:30pm
Friday, Dec. 18th: All "Adopt-a-Family" team gift wrapping
Decemeber 19th-Jan 3rd: Winter Break (school resumes Monday, Jan. 4th)
(NEW) Fact Practice: It is encouraged that students practice their multiplication daily 10 min and/or 3-5 times a week for a longer stretch of time. THEY WILL HAVE MULTIPLICAITON FACTS TESTS EVERY FRIDAY!!!
Math homework: As I mentioned at conferences, I have chosen to "flip" my classroom in math. Homework each night is a video of the next day's lesson. Students are expected to watch the lesson each night and follow along on their lesson page. I provide the information that is being practiced the day. Students will get classroom time to work independently and get help while working. Getting this lesson as homework has already shown "significant" gains in participation, effort, and accuracy on daily work. I highly encourage the video lesson be done each night! Thanks for patience and support!
App can be downloaded on Ipads and/or long in with the use of the Internet by going the login page for Educreations. By typing in "Educreations, login you will click/choose the first site listed. This will take you to a direct login page with a light blue background. Any other login in pages will NOT work. Once logged in the videos will come up immediately. The username and password are:
McGraw-Hill Connected Resource: Parents/Students can log in to McGraw-Hill connected to view and use our Treasures Reading Book as well as our My Math Book, lessons, HW, videos, etc.
How do you log in? Go to http://connected.mcgraw-hill.com/connected/login.do
Login is: keicher27
Password is: cardinals3
Reading: Anytime students can read 20+ minutes a night I encourage it!
Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are continuing to work through each of our Daily 5 rotations...Read to Someone, Teacher Time, Listening, Nonfiction Reading, and Writing. As well as learning "partner fluency" routines and using various reading skills/strategies we focused on throughout the week. Read to Self Time is a priority every day as well!
Math (Unit 5: Division)
Points of focus...dividing with equal groups, arrays, and repeated subtraction.
Unit test Friday Dec. 18th!
Students continue to gather stories in their writer's notebooks as well as build/draft/edit their weekly paragraphs. As well as developing their details. After winter break, we will begin our "Informational Writing Piece". Grammar skills will continue to be a focus point too. Students are continuing to add to their "My Writing Playground" notebooks during reading rotations. I love their creativity!
Topic of study...force and motion and Michigan geography.
This Week's Spelling Words
No spelling list this week
Weekly Specials and Nightly Homework
Tuesday: Gym; Math Homework; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Wednesday: Computers; Math Homework; Study spelling; Red folders come home
Thursday: Gym; Math Homework; Study spelling; Red folders come home
Friday: No specials; Spelling test; facts test (addition/subtraction AND multiplication);
Red folders come home; new spelling list comes home
Take Advantage of the Technology
*Front Row Math
*Book Talks with Chatterpix
*Mrs. Barnes Useful Links
Lego Club News
Lego Club Team 2: Wednesdays from 3:30pm-4:30pm
*No one from my Ms. Arnold's Class
2nd Rotation Dates: December 2nd, 9th, 16th; January 6th
DATES AT A GLANCE
11 Report Cards Go Home
Keicher Student Lock-in – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
14 School Board Meeting – MCHS – 7:00 p.m.
14-17 Secret Santa Shop – More information to follow
15 Secret Santa Shop – Families of Arnold and Keicher are welcome – 3:30 – 6:00 p.m.
6th Grade Winter Concert – Keicher West Gym – 2:30 & 6:30 p.m.
16 Credit Union Day
18 Daddy/Daughter Dance Forms and Money Due
Christmas Activities - Afternoon
3:25 – Christmas Break Begins
22 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
4 Welcome back everyone!
6 Credit Union Day
8 Popcorn Today – Bigger Size - $1.00
11 School Board Meeting – MCHS – 7:00 p.m.
Good News Club – Permission Slips week before
12 Michigan Center Community Food Panty – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
13 Credit Union Day
15 Keicher Student Lock-in – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
18 NO SCHOOL – STAFF ONLY
19 4th Grade Hearing Screening
20 4th Grade Hearing Screening
3rd and 5th Grade Vision Screening
Credit Union Day
21 3rd and 5th Grade Vision Screening
26 Michigan Center Community Food Panty – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
27 Credit Union Day
1. SANTA’S SECRET SHOP – Our gift shop is being held next week here at Keicher School. The schedule for the classrooms was sent home last week. Some great gift options will include Michigan/Michigan State, Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions items. Many gifts are personalized to “Mom”, “Sister”, “Grandpa”, and more! Decorative self-sealing bags allow kids to wrap their gifts before they leave, so they are ready to put under the tree. Arnold and Keicher students will have the opportunity to shop with their families after school on Tuesday, December 15th from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. There are over 100 gifts between 25 cents and $5.00 and more gifts under $11.00. An envelope went home with your student on Thursday, December 3rd to put money in and designate how the money will be spent. Parents are welcome to preview the product line during classroom times.
2. PTO’S 7th ANNUAL DADDY/DAUGHTER DANCE will be held on Saturday, January 30th in the Michigan Center High School Gym from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Preschool through 6th grade girls are welcome with an escort of their choice (Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, Special Friend etc.). The cost is $25.00 per couple (additional girl is $12.00) which includes corsage, tiara, snacks, 5x7 picture, lots of dancing and fun. Forms were sent home a couple of weeks ago to purchase tickets. Please return completed form to the office by DECEMBER 18TH with cash or check (Michigan Center PTO). If you need a form, I have attached the form to this email.
3. SNOW DAYS – With our “PowerSchool”
automatic calling, you should receive a phone call if school is called off due to the weather. Please make sure we have a working number for you on file.
4. The winter weather has been unpredictable so far this year. Remember this is Michigan, so please be sure your students are prepared for what each day brings us. Students need to get outside for some fresh air during the day, but we do not send them out if the
wind chill is below zero.
5. PARENTS- If you pick your child up after school, please remind them to use the crossing guard located at the corner of Sixth Street. Also, extra caution needs to be taken by parents pulling out of the parking lots (school or church) as students are crossing Sixth Street to get to their rides. Thank you for your help in keeping our students safe.
6. LOST AND FOUND - If your child has lost a coat, hat, or mittens, please have him/her check the lost and found located in the Keicher foyer. We have quite an assortment of items that have not been claimed. Unclaimed items will be donated to the Keicher Clothes Closet on Friday, December 18th.
7. SCHOOL HOURS – Parents, please do NOT drop your students off at school before 8:10 a.m. In addition, the cold, damp weather makes the long waiting time uncomfortable for your child. When you pick your child up after school, we would appreciate
promptness in doing so. Making sure the students are safe is our first concern. Thank you for your cooperation.
8. ELECTRONIC NEWSLETTER – Our “Keicher “K”onnection (newsletter) is sent out through email. It is also posted on our Keicher Elementary School website for those of you that do not have an email address. If you do not have an email address on file or choose not to receive it through email, please send a note to the office.
9. SUBWAY CARDS FUNDRAISER is starting this week and will end on January 15th. Each card sells for $2.50 and is redeemable for any regular 6 inch sandwich at the Page Avenue Subway. Envelopes will be sent home with your student to place your order for Ten (10) cards. More cards may be available if paid for in advance. Thank you
10. The MICHIGAN CENTER COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY will be open every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 6:30 -7:30 p.m. The pantry is located at the west end of Keicher. Follow the signs through the Pre-School playground gate. See “Dates At a Glance”.
Please make sure you are at the bus stop at least ten (10) minutes prior to your posted bus time. Bus stop times are approximate times and can vary due to the weather and a different bus driver on the route. Your help is greatly appreciated to make sure all students get to school on time. Thank you.
2015 – 2016 PARENT SURVEY
Please take a couple of minutes to give us some feedback.
It closes on January 4th
Take the survey: http://mccardinals.org/Page/51 (ctrl +click to follow link)
Wishing you and your family a wonderful and safe holiday season
Mrs. Dettloff and
CP Federal Credit Union
Save at the CP Credit Union (Keicher) Wednesday, December 16th and receive a Christmas treat.
November 27, 2015 – until gone
Visit with Santa
Visit Santa’s House--tell him what you want for Christmas
December 12, 13, 19, and 20
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The Santa House at the MC Lion’s Clubhouse