What is Schizophrenia?
Some Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Those suffering from Schizophrenia have been known to hold conversations with voices of people not there.
Some people with Schizophrenia can be observed obsessively writing or plotting things, or acting out of their usual character.
Hallucinations and delusions occur often to Schizophrenia patients. In some cases patients have been known to attempt to kill others based on their hallucinations.
- Some cases of Schizophrenia have been diagnosed as a result of troubles in a person's childhood
- Some scientists believe that Schizophrenia can be found as a result of an imbalance of dopamine in the brain
- Others believe that while there is no specific gene for Schizophrenia, it can be hereditary
Who is Affected by Schizophrenia?
Ways to Treat It
- Drug Treatments - Anti-psychotics are typically prescribed for people diagnosed with Schizophrenia
- Therapy Treatments - Psychotherapy sessions are administered to help keep patients in touch with reality and try to help them learn to control their symptoms
Case Study - John Nash
Bengston, M. (2014, January 1). All About Schizophrenia. Retrieved December 4, 2014, from http://psychcentral.com/lib/all-about-schizophrenia/000704
Castellani, M. (2010, January 15). Schizophrenia. Retrieved December 14, 2014. From <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Schizophrenia_image.jpg>.
CopperKettle. (2009, April 5). Schizophrenia. Retrieved December 14, 2014. From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#mediaviewer/File:Cloth_embroidered_by_a_schizophrenia_sufferer.jpg>.
Family Intervention. Retrieved December 15, 2014. From <http://cdn.medindia.net/health-images/Family-Intervention-Schizophrenia.jpg>.
Famous People with Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com. (n.d.). Retrieved December 12, 2014, from http://www.schizophrenia.com/famous.htm#john
Schizophrenia. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2014, from http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Schizophrenia Fact Sheet.pdf
Wetzig, E. (2006, November 2). John F Nash. Retrieved December 15, 2014. From <http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A1jl:John_f_nash_20061102_2.jpg>.
What is Schizophrenia? (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2014, from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia