Dolphin Parent Connection
November 2018 Volume 4, Issue 3
Boosterthon Mystery Fun Run
The PTA and school would like to thank everyone for your support of the Boosterthon Fun Run last week. In eight days, we raised more then $30,000 dollars, which will be split between the PTA and school. We will begin to prioritize our instructional needs in order to develop our purchase plan. As we have done in the past, we will keep you informed of purchases in future parent newsletters. As we reflect on this year's Fun Run and look to continue funding furniture replacement and additional instructional materials during the 2019-20 school year, we would like to gather feedback from you. Would you rather see Red Mill continue to use the Boosterthon Fun Run as our school's one fundraiser or would you rather see the school hold several smaller fundraisers? Please click the link below to let us know which option you prefer.
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
· Friday, November 2nd: Federal Cards due back
· Monday, November 5th: End of Marking Period 1
· Tuesday, November 6th: Virtual Learning Day--No school for students. Students complete assignments at home.
· Tuesday, November 6th: Spirit Day at LagoMar Pizza
· Wednesday, November 7th: Beginning of Marking Period 2
· Thursday, November 8th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 9th: PTA Veterans Day Program
· Friday, November 9th: Spirit Day--Wear R.E.D. to honor all those who are deployed.
· Monday, November 12th: Veterans Day--No School
· Tuesday, November 13th: PTA Board Meeting @ 1:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 13th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 14th: Report Cards Issued
· Wednesday, November 14th: Anchored4Life Team Leader Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 14th: STEM/Robotics Club Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, November 15th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 16th: PTA Turkey Bingo @ 6:00-8:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 20th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 21st: Dolphin Bowl Flag Football Game @ 9:30-11:00 AM
· Wednesday, November 21st: Adjusted Dismissal @ 12:10 PM
· Thursday, November 22nd and Friday, November 23rd: Thanksgiving Break--No School
· Tuesday, November 27th: Grade 1 Gifted Screening
· Tuesday, November 27th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 27th: PTA High School Is Cool @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, November 28th: STEM/Robotics Club Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 28th: PTA High School Is Cool @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Thursday, November 29th: Lifetouch Make-up Fall Pictures
· Thursday, November 29th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 4th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 6th: Girls on the Run @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, December 6th: Spirit Day at Chili's
· Saturday, December 8th: Winter Wonderland
Spirit Night at LagoMar Pizza--Tuesday, November 6th
On our Virtual learning day, Tuesday, November 6th, Red Mill will have a spirit day at LagoMar pizza. Order forms came home with students on Tuesday, October 30th. Please return order forms on or before Monday, November 5th. Didn’t get a chance to preorder? No worries! You can still place your dinner order or dine in. Don’t forget to mention Red Mill. Thanks for your support! LagoMar's phone number is (757) 721-2500.
Last Spirit Wear Sale of the School Year
The P.E. Department will be holding a Spirit Gear Flash sale November 7th-16th. Please print your order form from student’s P.E. Schoology course and return them to Ms. Parker no later than Friday, November 16th. Order forms will also be available in the main office and at the Spirit Gear booth at Turkey Bingo on Friday, November 16th. Please remember that we will not be ordering any extra gear, so be sure to place your orders during this time frame!
The 4th Annual Dolphin Bowl will be held Wednesday, November 21st from 9:30-11:00 AM. Parents are encouraged to come watch an all-star team of 5th graders face off against our undefeated staff team! There will be a halftime show and plenty of school spirit! Don’t forget your lawn chairs and blankets!
School Counseling Program Notes
During the month of November, students will learn how to become super problem solvers. Students will have a chance to practice their problem solving strategies just in time for the holidays - encourage your student to “show what they know” by being a super problem solver at home!
Fifth grade students are beginning the Academic and Career Planning process during the month of November and will start by taking a career interest inventory. In the coming months, we will use the information from this activity to do further research on a chosen career.
Lunch Bunches are forming now for students impacted by deployment and/or family changes – please reach out if you would like your student to participate!
Please feel free to contact me by phone (648-3572) or e-mail (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns.
- Veterans’ Day: Red Mill will be honoring Veterans in our community on Friday, November 9th, from 8 am to 10 am. Thank you to our military members (active and retired) who have signed up to speak to our children. If you're interested, please contact Anna Walker firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 757-620-4902. We're also treating our vets to a light breakfast. If you can donate an item, please sign up through this link: https://bit.ly/2RjcstU
- The Boosterthon Fun Run was a huge success! The kids seemed to learn a lot and have fun. Thank you to all who volunteered their time and/or made donations.
- High School is Cool is an after-school program that is being planned for Tuesday, Nov. 27 and Wednesday, Nov. 28. Keep an eye out for more information and a sign-up form.
- After-school clubs? Would you like to see more clubs at Red Mill? We are looking for volunteers. It could be a chess club, a LEGO club, garden club, foreign language club, WordMasters, or others. Contact email@example.com if you can help or know someone who can.
- Turkey Bingo will be held November 16 from 6-8 pm, so please mark your calendars. Parents and students have a blast! Just beforehand, we will hold a brief PTA meeting.
- Winter Wonderland: Our annual holiday event will be Saturday, December 8th. It’s a fun time for all. The event will include free kids' crafts, holiday photos, storytime, a craft show and silent auction. We are currently accepting vendor applications for the craft event. If you make and sell crafts or know someone who does, contact Jen Cardona at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Silent Auction is another part of the December 8th event. We are in need of a co-chair. If you are able to help with this event or make a donation of an item or service, please contact Whitney Kochheiser at: email@example.com. Please keep an eye out for a SignUp Genius for this event. We will need a lot of volunteers for this event.
- PTA Meeting: Our next PTA board planning meeting is November 13th at 1:00 PM, and our next general meeting will be held just before Turkey Bingo on November 16th at 6:00 PM. There will also be a board planning meeting at 1:00 PM on December 4th.
- Please “like” our Red Mill PTA Facebook page and be sure to check it often. That is one of the easiest and quickest ways for us to get information to parents!
Thank You for Support of the Book Fair
The Red Mill library staff would like to thank all parents and students for supporting our fall book fair. Thanks to your support, we were able to order some awesome new books and other library materials. Because of the success of our fall fair, we are able to offer a BOGO fair in May 2019. This will give students an opportunity to stock up for summer reading. Thanks again for your support.
Red Mill Cafe Gift Certificates
Looking for a way to thank a Red Mill teacher or staff member or honor them on a special occasion? Consider giving a Red Mill cafe gift certificate. If interested, please contact Red Mill's cafeteria manager, Diane Swan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Battle of the Books--Open to All 5th Grade Students
November 1st is the kickoff for our Battle of the Books competition. Students in 5th grade will have the opportunity to be a part of a team, read some great books, and compete against other 5th graders by answering questions about the books. Here is our timeline: November 1- Battle of the Books kickoff. Students will be introduced to the program. Students will view a video introducing them to the 10 books on the list. During the months of November, December, and January, students will read the books. During reading month at the end of January 2019, we will have a school-wide battle at Red Mill where a team consisting of 5 students per class will compete against other classes. The top teams at our school-wide competition will go on to compete against other teams in our immediate area. The 10 books are listed below. Please encourage your child to read some of these great titles. Please visit the Princess Anne Library’s webpage for more information. https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/libraries/kids/Pages/Battle-of-the-Books.aspx
Please see below for important dates and application deadlines. If you have any questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Red Mill's Gifted Resource Teacher at email@example.com
Grade Level Screenings:
- 1st grade gifted screening (all 1st grade students) Tuesday, November 27
Gifted Application & Identification Process Parent Information Sessions at Red Mill
1st grade Parent Information Session: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:00 a.m. (science lab)
5th grade Parent Information Session Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:00 a.m. (science lab)
ODS Parent Information Nights:
- Current 5th grade students--January 3, 2019 5:30 p.m.
- Current Grades 1-4--January 8, 2019 5:30 p.m.
Gifted Application & Deadlines (all applications due by 4:00 p.m. on deadline date)
- Gifted Identification (current grades 2-12) application deadline November 13, 2018
- Dance Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- Visual Arts Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- ODS (current grades 2-7) application deadline February 1, 2019
- All 1st grade referrals (current grade 1) application deadline March 1, 2019
Worth A Second Look
The Pearl Home program is run by Lynnhaven River NOW to reward families and individuals that live in Virginia Beach that are doing things to help us clean up the waterways.
You can go to our website http://www.lynnhavenrivernow.org/pearl-homes/ and fill in either the Single Family Home or Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application online. Please complete #2 listing your school as Red Mill Elementary so that you will receive your flag or magnet and Red Mill will earn credit for your application. For the Apartment/Condo/Townhouse application, you have the choice of a flag or magnet. Make sure you indicate which you would like. Both applications list things that you can do that will make a difference; just check off those things that you are doing or have done in the past year. If you are able to check off at least 15 items (for home owners) or 10 items (for multi-family dwellings), you will receive your choice of a beautiful garden flag and stand or a magnet that you can place on your door. You will be contacted in November after the flags and magnets have been delivered to the school. Thank you for making our water cleaner and healthier for future generations.
Red Mill Is Looking For A Few Good Men & Women
Upcoming Art Contests
VIRGINIA ASSOCIATION FOR PUPIL TRANSPORTATION
POSTER CONTEST THEME: Red Lights Mean STOP! Due April 30, 2019
(see attached flyer for complete details)
THE ART OF BEING A MILITARY CHILD CITYWIDE ART CONTEST AND CELEBRATION
Due Friday, Dec. 14.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RELATED TO BEING A MILITARY CHILD
Topics include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cultures You’ve Experienced
- Military Lifestyle
- Your Wishes, Hopes and Dreams
- The Life Lessons You’ve Learned
See attached flyer for complete details.
If you have any questions, please contact Morgan Knight, art teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make Payments
- Set up Auto Pay
- Set Purchase Restrictions
- Get Low Balance Alerts
- Submit Applications
- View Purchases
- View Menus