A Bilingual Picture Book by Pat Mora
Genre-Children's, Picture, Bilingual
Topic/Theme-Children/Book Day. Celebrating books
Awards Received- Pura Belpre Award. This is an award for Latino/Latina authors or illustrators who best portrays the Latino culture in his/her work. In this case, the illustrator, Rafael Lopez received the award.
Criteria for Multicultural Books
-The children in each picture are different. They are different genders and different cultures. Although the children are different the story still bonds them together through their love of books.
2. Have an appealing format and be of endearing quality.
-This book is very appealing to children. The text and illustrations go together in a way that attracts young readers. The text is presented in a variety of ways (straight on the page, diagonal, etc) and the pictures are all detailed and colorful.
3. Illustrations should compliment and enhance the imagery of the story.
- The illustrations in this book bring the story to life. Throughout the story the pictures show what the text is portraying. The illustrations would really benefit ELL students because they may not understand the story but would know what was going on by looking at the pictures.
Classroom Teaching Application
- 2nd grade
- RL.2.2 – Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral
- The students will be able to identify the message of the book.
- I think that it is important that students know that every book has a message. I think it would be neat to celebrate what this book is all about in my future classroom. Every student could bring in their favorite book and all day we could discuss the books and have some activities to go along with the books. This book would be a good way to introduce the idea or begin the book day. One of the activities we could do is have the students find the main message of the book they brought. I, the teacher, could explain the main message of Book Fiesta and then they could do their own