The Week Ahead Memo
State Road Elementary School
Monday, November 17, 2014
Events This Week!
State Road CRAFT SHOW!!!
Monday afternoon for Ad Council
Grade Fixes for the Year!
As a reminder, our “Grade Fixes” that we agreed to pilot for this school year are:
▫ Fix 1: Don’t include student behaviors in grades; include only achievement
▫ Fix 5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately
▫ Fix 6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence
"Grading" SI Action Team Requests:
- Everyone should have received the book called "A Repair Kit for Grading"
- As a staff, we are going to focus on one fix per month
- For the month of November, please read Fix #1 which is pp. 16-23. Provide feedback by November 13 to either Barry, Gabe, or Callie if something that stands out to you from this section… an idea, a wondering, a concern, something great you are already doing, etc.
- We will compile and share this feedback at our November team meeting and with the rest of the staff.
Observation / Evaluation Process Update
I plan to do more observations each day this week - I’d like to complete all 'first-observations' by Thanksgiving break. The ‘Noticings’ and ‘Wonderings’ sections will only focus on two (2) Dimensions for Observation 1 (Purpose (P) and Classroom Environment & Culture (CEC)).
- Observations - We will again conduct a minimum of 3 observations for the year (district continuity).
- Observations Time - These will be 15-30 min of lesson scripting and another 15 minutes of coding.
- I should be able to access or view your daily lesson plans with assigned standards.
- A difference from last year is that all observations will be unannounced (law compliance and district continuity).
- We will have a Dimension focus during observations (up to two dimensions). The dimension focus areas will be the areas that Noticing’s, Wonderings, and Analysis will be derived.
- Evaluation learning series - We will offer several voluntary learning opportunities for staff to participate in. These opportunities are geared to develop deeper understanding of the framework, rubrics, vocabulary and other processes of 5D+ for those interested. Materials will be made available to all.
Culture of Learning
Send a "Special" Note to Students!
What's Happening Next Week?
- Craft Show on Sunday, 10am-4pm at FHS
- Thanksgiving Break is Wednesday - Friday, Nov. 26-28!!!
DOWN THE ROAD...
- Our Holiday Concerts will be Friday, Dec. 12. (Grades 1 & 4 @ 8:50am. Grades 2 & 3 @ 9:40am. Grades K & 5 @ 10:30am)