Professional Learning Update
This newsletter provides a forum for sharing such resources and information. My goal is to design a monthly publication where teachers can review some professional learning resources related to our vision and/or get a sneak peak into something new.
I hope you find it useful and easy to navigate.
An Introduction to Instructional Coaching
What is the Role of a Instructional Coach?
- To provide support to all teachers in implementing best practices.
- To focus on student achievement through collaboration with teachers and administrators.
- To promote a community of learners.
- INSTRUCTIONAL COACHING MENU - A list of potential professional coaching roles
An Instructional Coach is NOT-
- An “expert”
- A supervisor
- A “spy” for administration
- A teaching assistant
21st Century Learning & Assessment ~ Critical Thinking
Critical thinking involves the strategies we use to think in organized ways to analyze and solve problems (from P21.org). In "Start with Higher-Order Thinking", the author shares three strategies that encourage students to think deeply.
- Designing Open Questions
- Encouraging Thinking, Not Retelling
- Teaching Student Self-Assessment
OTHER CRITICAL THINKING RESOURCES from The Partnership for 21st Century Learning
INSTRUCTIONAL TECH TOOLS
ORGANIZE YOUR CLASSROOM WITH TOPICS - You can now create topics that allow you and your students to filter the stream to find specific posts more efficiently. To learn more about organizing your stream, click HERE.
REUSING POSTS - Save time by reusing posts from a different class or previous year by selecting the "Reuse Post" tool when creating a new post. To learn more about the reuse post feature, click HERE.
Readworks.org is a nonprofit providing K-12 teachers with high-quality nonfiction and literary articles alongside reading comprehension and vocabulary questions, formative assessments, and teacher resources. Texts are easy to find, grade/Lexile and content specific, as well as Common Core aligned.
If you are already familiar with Readworks, check out their latest interactive feature, Readworks Digital that connects with your Google Classroom.
UPCOMING PROFESSIONAL LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Tuesday, 10/11 - 2hr Late Start
- Tuesday, 10/11 - Professional Learning Team Mtg. (2:50 - 3:20pm PL Office)
- Monday, 10/17 - Co-teaching Mtg. (2:50 - 3:20pm PL Office)
- Tuesday, 10/25 - Professional Learning Team Mtg. (2:50 - 3:20pm PL Office)
- Friday, 10/28 - October T4