Our Town Happenings Week #28
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of April 4 - 8, 2016
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- the use of voice in writing
- begin persuasive writing unit
- After the Alamo : Santa Ana
- Greek & Latin affixes review
- Sitton List 22 Core Words - ice, ship, themselves, begin, fact
- for extended list, see below
- begin Schoolyard Ecology Unit
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Red Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Art)
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Art, LaCombe/PE)
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Art)
- report cards sent home for students who don't receive them electronically
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library)
- Sitton Spell Check - List 22
- Reading Log: 100 minutes (in Google Classroom account); due Sunday 2/28
- Reading Passage: Freaky Frogs - handed out in pink hard copy in class on Monday 4/4, due 4/11 - also in Google Classroom Reading Class if hard copy goes AWOL
- worksheet (handed out in class on Monday 4/4, due 4/11)
- Spell Check 22 on Friday 4/8
SPRING CARNIVAL - THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 9TH - 2:00 - 6:00 PM
Wipe out Inflatable
Lots of new Carnival Games
Hair Painting & Nails
Mobile DJ & Photo Booth
Face Painting, Tattoos & Nail Art
Culin Karate Demo
Science with Mr. Jim
Silent Auction and Basket Raffle
Step Right Up and Order your Wristband
All-Access Carnival Wristbands are $15 for first and second wristband, and just $10 for the third and more. You can buy them now on the e-store and they will be delivered Wednesday, April 6 to classes. Each wristband comes with a carnival spirit stick, and a prize lanyard, which will be stamped after playing games, and then redeemed at the prize booth for prizes.
Raffle tickets are $1 for 1 ticket, or $20 for 25 tickets. Order ahead on our e-store so that you can fill them out at home. They can be purchased at the carnival, too. Take a look at some of the amazing baskets we'll have. There will be 40 baskets up for raffle, each donated by the parents of Reagan classes! You'll find the basket raffle in the MPR at the carnival. Be sure to get your tickets in the boxes of the baskets you hope to win by 5:30pm, which is the end of the raffle. You do not need to be present to win.
Around 65 local businesses have generously donated their goods to our auction! There are too many to list here, but you can find details with links to the businesses on our silent auction page. The auction will be located this year in the MPR. Be sure to write your bids down by the end of the auction at 5:30. You do not need to be present to win. If you win, you can pay by cash, credit card, or check at the carnival, or later when we contact you.
Food will be provided by these local food trucks:
Please help us make this year's carnival a success by signing up for one of the available slots. It looks like a long list of slots, but we've kept most of them to short time periods so that you can help out and have plenty of time left to enjoy the carnival. Sign up on our volunteer page, and THANK YOU!
Thank you to our Contributing Vendors and Sponsors!Dave Schara, State Farm Insurance
CARNIVAL DONATIONS BEGIN MONDAY, APRIL 4TH!
Each year the PTA asks for parents to donate needed items for the carnival. Donation collections start Monday, April 4th. Just drop yours off in the main Hallway anytime. Below is our requested items by grade level.
Any grade— Prize booth toys, Cake walk, and coolers with wheels.
Kindergarten– Water Bottles
1st grade-- Large Blow pop & Tootsie lollipops
2nd grade-- Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper cans
3rd grade-- Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr. Pepper cans
4th grade-- Sprite and 7up cans
5th grade-- Sparkling water cans
Cake Walk Donations--Please drop off cupcakes, bagged cookies or brownies, or whole cakes to the community room either on Friday the 8th (preferred), or bring with you to the carnival on Saturday. If you can, please group cookies into groups of 4-6 and small cupcakes into groups of 3. Please be sure that all nut free and gluten free donations are store bought and clearly labeled.
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
- Friday 4/1 - End of the 3rd 9 weeks
- Friday 4/1 - First Fun Friday in 4th Grade - Illuminocity Atrocity - Dress in BRIGHT colors!
- Monday 4/4 - Stephanie Beasley's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 4/6 - report cards sent home
- Friday 4/15 - Field Trip to Twin Lakes YMCA
- Friday 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
OUR WEEK(S) IN PICTURES
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.