* Star topology *
- Star networks are very reliable. If one connection fails, it does not affect other users
- Very few data collisions as each workstation has its own cable to the server
- Good security - no workstation can interact with another without going through the server first
- The most expensive network layout to install because of the amount of cables needed
- Installing the network usually needs experts to set it up
- Extra hardware such as hubs and switches may be needed
- If the server crashes or stops working then nobody will be able to access their files or use the network.