helping students with loss & grief
for element@ry staff * sel * Haldane Elementary * March 2016
Sadly, throughout the school year, our students may experience a loss. It might be a family member, a school friend, an family illness, a pet or a move. Here are some good sites to explore this topic for yourself and the child. Also, they may help if you are experiencing loss at this time.
what to say to someone who is grieving
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
- I don’t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
- You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- My favorite memory of your loved one is….
- I am always just a phone call away.
- Give a hug instead of saying something.
- We all need help at times like this, I am here for you.
- I am usually up early or late, if you need anything.
- Saying nothing, just be with the person
“demonstrate respect, care and personal regard for students, staff and parents.”