Hillcrest Family Newsletter
January 5th, 2018
Next Week at Hillcrest
The January PTO meeting will be held on Wednesday, the 10th at 6:15 PM in the library. All families are welcome to attend. This is a great opportunity for you to connect with other parents and learn about how you can support the important work that the PTO does for students and teachers throughout the year. HERE is a link to this week's agenda.
Choir with 4th and 5th Graders
Read-A-Thon Calendar for January
Lunch Account Balances
Cold Weather Information
- The school district only cancels school when there is a Winter Weather Warning. This cancelation happens by 5:00 AM and we would send a message home via School Messenger. This information is also available through the local TV networks.
- When the wind chill drops below zero degrees, students come directly in the school building through Door #2 (the bell door) and line up inside in the morning, rather than on the playground. Please continue to follow the traffic flow plan outlined HERE for safe drop off areas.
- When the wind chill drops below zero degrees, as a school, we hold recess indoors. Please continue to send your child's winter gear to school even on these cold days. There are times that the temperature may rise above zero and we would take students outside for recess. Also, fresh air and sunshine are important to learning and growing. If students have been cooped up inside for multiple days in a row, teachers may have students bundle up for a brief walk around the playground, even if the temp is around zero. The National Weather Service Windchill chart indicates that certain temperatures below zero are still safe for up to 30 minutes and a quick walk around the playground can do wonders for a student's focus.
- Boots and snow pants are required for playing in the snow on the grassy areas of the playground. If a student does not have their boots or snow pants they will be asked to play on the blacktop which is cleared of snow. This is to make sure the afternoon is not spent in wet pants and shoes. If your child needs snow gear, please reach out and we can connect you with some supplies.
- Students should not pick up and throw snow on the playground. Thank you for helping your child understand these expectations.