Volume 3/Issue 28 April 11, 2016
I hope you all had a great weekend! I’ll be in training most of this week to learn more about the new evaluation system for teachers. I’m sure it will be a fascinating 3 days at Region 10. The team leaders and I discussed social emotional learning today and they have a great article to share with you. It really hit home with me about how we can help our kids become more successful at school by meeting their emotional needs first and teaching them how to cope when things don’t go their way. Worth a few minutes of your time to read. We are heading into the home stretch, but we still have so much to accomplish! Keep your heads up and enjoy your children every day.
Have a great week!
Strategy # 7 Build Relationships of Mutual Respect with Parents
This chapter focuses on the relationships you must build with parents. Parents first and foremost are the primary external support system for the child, and their beliefs and attitudes naturally have a significant impact on the thinking and actions of the child.
Here are a few suggestions made in this chapter....
- A "one-size-fits-all" approach doesn't work with parents. Not all parents are equally resourced. Approach each parent as an individual who has varying resources and needs.
- Parent Involvement doesn't necessarily mean physical presence at school. It means knowing about one's child and what he/she is doing.
- Make sure that when parents do come to the school, they are greeted with a smile, and their concerns are genuinely heard.
- Clarify for parents the guidelines that must be followed by adults for the school to be safe.
- In most cases don't expect to call the parent and get a solution. Rather, set up a conference so that a solution can be reached together and in person.
- Understand that some parents don't have the resources to deal with issues surrounding their children. Blaming the parent(s) won't change the situation.
Reminders to include in your grade level newsletters
- Tardy bell is at 7:45 am
- If they are planning to change the way their student is going home it needs to be done by 2pm