PHT Paws-itively News
April 4th, 2022
Dear Page Hilltop Families:
SPRING HAS ARRIVED! There, I said it. Now I can only hope that I haven't jinxed us and tempted fate with a late-season snowstorm. Looking for the sunshine, the birds, and the flowers all around Page Hilltop.
At this time we will be announcing the 2nd winner of this year's winter challenge contest. The question was "When will ALL of the snow disappear from the Page Hilltop school grounds?" Now many of you may think that this happened days or weeks ago. You would be incorrect in that assumption. Each day when I arrive and each evening when I leave, I drive around the school and check for any patches of unmelted snow and there have been a few.
Not anymore. It is all gone! The student winners have been identified based on their guesses. There was a tie with two students selecting the correct day. They are both from Mrs. Less' second-grade classroom: Faith Knight & Juba Aouane. Congratulations! Your class will be earning a special prize!
Next week we will announce the final winter challenge winners as the students who correctly predicted the total amount of snowfall for this past winter.
Thanks, as always, for sharing your children with us!
Fred Deppe, Principal
Matt Lutinski, Assistant Principal
UPCOMING APRIL DATES TO REMEMBER
- April 4th -- 5th Grade ELA MCAS Session 1
- April 6th -- 5th Grade ELA MCAS Session 2
- April 6th -- Build a Panther PTO Event @ 6:30 PM ZOOM LINK
- April 7th -- Lynch Leadership Academy Site Visit
- April 7th -- PTO Meeting ZOOM LINK
- April 11th -- Bike Rodeo on Playground @ 3:30
- April 12th -- 4th Grade ELA MCAS Session 1
- April 13th -- Early Release Dismissal @ 1:45
- April 14th -- 4th Grade ELA MCAS Session 2
- April 15th -- Wear BLUE & YELLOW for Ukraine
- April 18th - 22nd -- April Vacation
- April 25th -- 3rd Grade ELA MCAS Session 1
- April 27th -- 3rd Grade ELA MCAS Session 2
- April 29th -- Class Color Competition -- see details below
APRIL SPIRIT DAYS
Friday, April 15th: Wear blue and yellow to support Ukraine
Friday, April 29th: Class Color Competition -- Each grade wears their assigned color, and we will see who has the most school spirit!
- Preschool -- Red
- Kindergarten -- Red
- 1st Grade -- Orange
- 2nd Grade -- Yellow
- 3rd Grade -- Green
- 4th Grade -- Purple
- 5th Grade -- Blue
BUILD A PANTHER OR PANTHER PAL
You can build a...
- Panther (only 18 left)
- Panda (Sold Out!)
- German Shepherd (Sold Out!)
- Black Bear (only 12 left)
- Sponsor a Kit! -- this kit will go to a deserving student
What do you think our school motto should be? Submit your family's suggestion on this GOOGLE FORM and our students will vote. Submissions are due on the Google Form by Friday, April 15th.
We hope that things will be better for this last trimester and that we will finish strong for the last 3 months.
START OF SCHOOL
Daily arrival times run from 8:25 - to 8:40 (with an optimum time between 8:25 - 8:35). If you are having a difficult time meeting this "arrival window", please determine the reason why and make some adjustments to your morning schedule.
- Set your alarms 5-10 minutes earlier
- Plan to leave your house 5-10 minutes earlier
- Make sure the television/computers are turned off in the morning
- Have your child prepare more in the evening (pack their bag, pack their lunch, decide on clothes to wear, take a shower, have all notes signed before leaving)
THE POWER OF WORDS
THE GOLDEN PAWS TICKET!
This month, Mrs. Crutchfield's first grade class earned the March Golden PAWS incentive. The winning PAWS ticket was from her student Joao Dias. As a reward for winning the Golden PAWS, Mrs. Crutchfield's students enjoyed an ice cream social on Friday, April 1st. Good job, Mrs. Crutchfield's class, keep up the good work! Who will be our lucky winners next month? Thank you, Emerson and Gannon, for drawing our first winner!
| || |
Mrs. Crutchfield used her ice cream party to have some April Fools Day fun with her students by telling them all we could get at the store were some "Brown E's".
FROM OUR SCHOOL COUNSELOR -- BREATHING EXERCISES
All students in grades K-2 have recently been learning about the importance of deep breathing during their classroom guidance lessons with Ms. Ahlquist! Some major benefits of deep breathing include:
Relaxing the body and mind
Strengthening the ability to focus and learn
Helping with self-regulation and controlling your emotions
Students were given time to decorate and practice four different breathing strategies. Take a look at some of our amazing student samples below, and try them for yourself! How do you feel after taking 3 big deep breaths?
JOHN LENNON REAL LOVE PROJECT
The steps of the experiment were
- Observe the "rock" (cookie) and draw what you see
- Use tools to show weathering of the rock (break it apart)
- Blow "wind" with a straw to show how erosion moves the weathered rock around
- Add water to the new landform and observe to see what changes or forms.
When asked what the class learned about weathering and erosion, the responses were...
- "Water can form rivers and lakes in land"
- "Wind can change the shape of rock"
- "Wind and water can break down rock"
- "Water can make rock soft"
GOOD MANNERS CHALLENGE
BIKE SAFETY RODEO
BE ON THE SAME SCHEDULE AS YOUR STUDENT?
Page Hilltop is looking for people interesting in providing coverage for classroom teachers and paraprofessionals (on an interim substitute basis). Interested applicants must submit a copy of this application. Applicants, if hired, will need to complete a CORI in the main office and also be fingerprinted. Please email Fred Deppe, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Current Employment Opportunities can be found on SchoolSpring -- CLICK HERE
INCOMING PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS
Preschool Registration Slide Deck -- CLICK HERE
Preschool Registration Packet -- CLICK HERE
Kindergarten Registration Slide Deck -- CLICK HERE
Kindergarten Registration Packet -- CLICK HERE
AT HOME COVID TESTING PROTOCOLS
To opt into this new testing program use the link to this Google Form -- CLICK HERE
Testing kits will be sent home with students every other Tuesday. Students will need to test at home by 6:30 pm every Tuesday and report positive cases only using the QR code to the Google Form provided with testing kits.
SPRING MCAS DATES
Helpful Hints for a successful MCAS testing experience:
* Children are encouraged to try their best at all times. Children should keep in mind that MCAS testing has nothing to do with their report card grades or with promotion to the next grade.
* Parents should keep students on a typical schedule during MCAS times.
* Students should be getting lots of good sleep during MCAS times.
* Students should eat a good breakfast on testing days.
* Students MUST be on time for all MCAS test days. Students arriving late for school are not allowed to enter the classroom after the test has begun at 9:00am.
- Grade 5: April 4 & 6
- Grade 4: April 12 & 14
- Grade 3: April 25 & 27
- Grade 4: May 10 & 12
- Grade 5: May 16 & 18
- Grade 3: May 17 & 19
STE MCAS (5th-Grade Only)
- Grade 5: May 23 & 25
NEXT PTO MEETING: Thursday, April 7th @ 7:00 PM via ZOOM
PTO Website -- LINK
PTO Facebook Page -- Link
Are you an Amazon shopper?
Did you know just by shopping with smileamazon.com you can help support PH!?
Create a FREE SMILE ACCOUNT and link it to Page Hilltop.
Share with family and friends so they can help support PH too!
YES, Page Hilltop can still earn with Box Tops!
Here is a video on how to Scan with the Box Tops Mobile App YOUTUBE BOXTOP
SCRIPS YEAR ROUND
The PHT PTO scrip program is a simple and effective fundraising program.
Please email Amanda Lewis at email@example.com with any questions regarding the Scrip Program.
Go to: https://www.shopwithscrip.com/how-to-enroll and click Join Your Existing Program
1. Enter the Enrollment Code: 298736BL13535
2. Complete the Family Registration page
3. Start Shopping!