The Spartan Standard
Creating Coherent Systems That Promote Learning For All
Our Mission: Why We Do The Right Thing
- Academic rigor across the curriculum fostering lifelong intellectual curiousity
- A climate of respect, fairness, equality, and security promoting individual confidence and responsibility
- A culture of collaboration between school, family, and community
- A proactive network of student support
- Exciting, unprecedented opportunities for student involvement
- Creative and artistic expression
- State of the Art Technology
Something To Think About
Mary Rose's Schedule (Subject to Change)
AP TESTING WINDOW BEGINS
Monday, May 4: PLC Collaboration
8:00 AP Chemistry; AP Environmental Science
10:30 Teacher Mtg.
5:30 Congressional Reception Art Competition @ South Orange Library
Tuesday, May 5: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,1,3,5,7
8:00 AP Calculus AB; AP Calculus BC
8:00 Teacher Mtg.
12:00 Metro Directors Mtg.
5:00 Chula Vista Mayor's Office (MA Proclamation)
Wednesday, May 6: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,2,4,6,7
8:00 AP English Literature & Composition
12:00 AP Physics 1
1:00 S. Huezo
2:50 FAC Mtg. @ New Library
Thursday, May 7:
8:00 AP Spanish Language & Culture
12:00 AP Art History
9:00 Principal PLC
12:37 Dept. Chair Mtg. @ Learning Lab
3:00 Track vs. MVH
4:00 C. Caparros & E. Matriano
5:00 Filipino School
Friday,May 8: Out on Conference
8:00 CALSA Conference
8:00 AP US History
Saturday, May 9:
8:00 Saturday School
AP TESTING WINDOW CONTINUES
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!
Monday, May 11: PLC Collaboration
8:00 AP Music Theory; AP Biology
5:00 Boys Lacrosse vs. SOH
Tuesday, May 12:
8:00 AP US Government
8:00 Texbook Rep re: trial
12:00 AP Spanish Literature
2:00 AVID Certification Mtg. @ VAPA Office
3:00 School Site Council @ New Library
Wednesday, May 13:
8:00 AP English Language
12:00 AP Statistics
2:50 Faculty Mtg. @ Learning Lab
3:00 Baseball vs. HHS; Softball vs. SUH
Thursday, May 14: Extended Lunch Schedule
8:00 AP World History
12:00 Staff Luncheon in Honor of Teachers
4:00 Management Mtg. @ PDC
Friday,May 15: Minimum Day (Day of the Teacher--Certificated Staff to Leave at 12:51 PM)
8:00 AP Human Geography
4:00 PowderPuff (Coach Magaraci vs. Coach Byers)
Saturday, May 16:
8:00 Saturday School
Kudos, Thanks, and Transitions
- Kudos to Diana Kulhanek and Congratulations to Michelle Spielman. The Lakeside Veterans of Foreign Wars Post Ladies Auxiliary #5867 through Ms. Kulhanek sponsored Ms. Spielman's student, Samantha Chaidez, to enter her art work in the Ladies Auxiliary to the Veterans of Foreign Wars Young American Creative Partriotic Art contest. Samantha's art work placed first in the local, San Diego, and California levels of the competition! She is now competing nationally and will be eligible for a $10,000.00 scholarship if her art work wins. Best to you, Samantha!
- Pacquiao and Mayweather have nothing on this competition...Kudos to Nurse Eileen Magaraci and Eric Byers. Both of them are coaching competing teams for our Powderpuff Football in the upcoming SpartanFest. Whose team will win? We will find out Friday, May 15. Game starts at 4:00 PM.
- Congratulations to Patrick Doerr! The Winter Guard finished their Competition Season at WGASC Championships at Marina HS by winning the Bronze Medal! What a great way to cap off a tremendous season where they won two 3rd places and a 2nd place at competitions in February and March! The Guard also performed at the District Color Guard and Drum Line Show at Eastlake HS. Kudos!
Secretaries Dinner 2015
Araceli, Belinda, Lucia, and Georgina represented for CVHS!
Welcome Baby Candelario
Jennifer (Erhart) Candelario gave birth to Baby Mateo Candelario last April 27 at 8:45 AM. He weighed 6 lbs. and 7 ounces.
Welcome Baby Rojas
Meet Lou Rojas' baby boy, Ezra Keanu.
SUHSD Board of Trustees Honors Girls and Boys Soccer for Historic Victories
We will continue to deepen the implementation of our initiatives. As we walk through, we will give feedback on one of the following:
- Use of Academic Language by students in speaking and writing
- Structured Student Conversations
- Monday: How is the time used to support/enrich student learning experiences?
- Please work on the agenda that you had agreed upon based on your last PLC collaboration.
- A reminder that everyone is expected to stay on campus until the end of the PLC time. Thank you for your professionalism.
- Please consult the handout given during the Pre-Service days if you need clarification on PLC tasks and products. In terms of Unit Planning, the instructional guides should serve as your guide.
- Minutes and products should be uploaded to our CANVAS page. Please see your Curriculum Coach for assistance, if needed.
Thank you for your engagement and hard work!
For The Common Good
- Teacher Appreciation Week and Day of the Teacher: Teacher Appreciation Week is May 4-8 and National Teacher Day is May 5. Please know that you are appreciated and here at Chula Vista High School, we will be celebrating your week next week, May 11-15. In you honor, May 15 will be a Minimum Day. Stay tuned for all the groups who will honor you at your special week next week. Thank you for your kind understanding.
- News 10 Instagram News Clarification/Information: You may have heard that CVHS was in the news last week regarding a student whose half-nude photos supposedly taken at school was supposedly published in Instagram by an ex-friend. Please know that as soon as the Assistant Principals were informed of this concern by the parent, an investigation was initiated. After an extensive investigation, Ms. Jaye Leigh and Ms. Hilda Bender have unraveled the convuluted situation and have informed the police, parents, and students of their findings. It has been concluded that the issue is no longer a school matter but a police matter instead. All parties involved have been made aware of this. If you hear any more talk about this, please let the Administration know who the students are so we can address it. Thank you for your assistance and discretion.
- SENIOR FAILURES Deadline: Ms. Ana Hollins, Head Counselor, has sent the form for all teachers to identify those SENIORS who could fail (potential failing grade in class) or will fail (established failing grade in class) their respective classes. The forms are due to Lucia Alamo, Counseling Services Center Assistant, by 3:00 PM on Thursday, May 7 via personal delivery or E-mail. If you do not have any potential failing or failing SENIORS in your class, or you do not have any SENIORS, simply sign the form and return it. ALL TEACHERS must turn in a form. Please read the E-mail from Ms. Hollins regarding details of the Final Clearance Procedure. Graduation is a sensitive issue with our students, families, and community. Your cooperation in ensuring that we follow the correct protocols is truly appreciated.
- Librarian Day, Nurse's Day, & Psychologist Week: In lieu of their weeks, I want to recognize their contributions to the well-being of staff and students this week. Thank you for all you do!
- CAHSEE Remains a Graduation Requirement: In his April 22, 2015 letter to Accountability Coordinators, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Torlakson, provided an update on the 2015 Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP). In this letter, he indicated that the grade eleven Smarter Balanced Summative Assessment (SBAC) would replace the grade ten California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) for the 2015 AYP. This statement has created some confusion about whether or not there remains a requirement to administer the CAHSEE. Although the State Board of Education approved replacing the grade ten CAHSEE with the grade eleven SBAC for AYP purposes, the CAHSEE is still part of state graduation requirements as per California Education Code (EC) Section 60851(a). Unless this Education Code is repealed or amended, CAHSEE remains a requirement that must be satisfied in order to receive a high school diploma. I hope this helps to alleviate any confusion.
- Patience: We all need it this time of the year.