Dance 1, 2, 3, and 4
Welcome to dance class at Weiss!
This newsletter will serve as your syllabus. It is full of important information that you will be able to access throughout the entire school year. Feel free to share it with your family and even your friends who might be interested in taking dance at Weiss.
Scarlets Dance Team Director
Middle School Dance 1 (Cele & Kelly Lane)
Mrs. Arnosky: email@example.com
Ms. Mosley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dance Office: 512-594-1454
Dance 1A: @b2c72g
Dance 1B: @mrsarnos
Dance 2: @mrsarnosk
Dance 3-4: @mrsarnosky
Dance 1: gfaq2l
Dance 2: xrh3a4t
Dance 3-4: 4nbm6j
YouTube: Weiss Scarlets Dance Team
Facebook: @weissscarlets (Weiss Scarlets Dance Team)
What do I need for class?
Required- purchased through WHS:
- Weiss Dance t-shirt (click the button below)
Required- purchased through Discount Dance Supply or brought from home:
- Black athletic pants (no shorts or see-through fabrics)
- Black fitted top (within dress code)
- Half sole dance shoes
- A one subject spiral notebook
- A pen or pencil
- Hair ties, bobby pins, headbands, etc.
- Water bottle
Required Weiss Dance t-shirt, other Weiss Dance tank tops, long sleeves, and sweatshirts!
Shop for optional items like dance shoes, leggings, joggers, and more!
- The first place you will report is the locker room to change. If you have not passed through the doors of the athletic hallway (the locker room hallway), you will be considered tardy.
- Before entering the locker room, you will put your cell phone away in your backpack.
- You will have 10 minutes to get dressed, use the restroom, and report to the dance studio.
- When you get to the dance studio, you will get your dance notebook and have a seat in your attendance spot.
- While attendance is being taken you will write about the daily writing prompt on the board. Each writing prompt should be at least 2 sentences long to be accepted as complete. Writing prompts will be checked each Friday you are in class and will count as a portion of your participation grade.
- After you are done, you will wait quietly in your attendance spot for further instructions.
- Your notebooks will go back in their cubbies, and you will spread out to warm up and start dancing.
- When dismissed, you will return to the locker room to change back into your school clothes. You have 10 minutes to dress out at the end of class.
- After you are dressed, you will wait in the hallway directly outside the locker room door until the bell rings. You may take your cell phone out of your backpack at this time.
HEY HEY! WHAT DO YOU SAY?
Locker Room Etiquette
- NO CELL PHONES! Cell phones must be put away in your backpack before entering the locker room. If they are seen (even if you're not using it), it will be taken away from you and given to the front office where it can be picked up by a parent/guardian.
- You must be quiet in the locker room.
- Use the first and last 10 minutes of class to use the restroom.
- Lock your locker after you are done using it! Things go missing, and unfortunately, items get stolen. It is called a LOCKER for a reason-- use the lock!
- You should only keep your belongings in your locker. Other students' lockers will not be opened for you. Record is kept of which locker belongs to which person, so if you forget your combination, all you have to do is ask!
- Your dance items should be kept in a small PE locker. If you are an athlete, you should not use your athletics locker for dance. Athletic locker rooms will not be opened for you during dance class. This is for your safety and the safety of your teammates!
- Keep your hands to yourself in the locker room.
- If you would like to change privately, you may use the shower stalls in the back of the locker room. Please refrain from using the restroom stalls, because there are others who need to use the restroom.
DANCE 1 PARTICIPANTS EARNED OUR SECOND STRAIGHT DIVISION 1 RATING AT DEAL!
- Daily participation
- Notebook checks
- Smaller assignments to be turned in on Google Classroom
Major Grades (70%)
- Performance-based tests or projects
- Writing-based tests or assignments
Daily Participation Points
Weiss Dance Spring Showcase
Tuesday, May 5th 2020 at 7pm
5201 Wolf Pack Drive
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are boys allowed to dance at Weiss? YES! ABSOLUTELY! Male students are encouraged to take dance, and if they are interested, to try out for Scarlets.
- Does it cost money? Yes, but very little. You will be expected to purchase a Weiss Dance t-shirt, which will cost $10. Any other dance clothing may be brought from home or purchased through the Discount Dance Supply online store (link above).
- Will I have to perform? Yes. You will perform in the Fine Arts Winter Showcase and Spring Dance Showcase. You will perform dances we have been working on in class, and you will be in a large group. You will never be forced to perform a solo! By showtime, you'll be incredibly confident in yourself!
- Do I need a physical? No. You do not need a physical to enroll in dance class.
- What if I want to be in a more challenging class? If you are currently enrolled in Dance 1, please come chat with Mrs. A about potentially moving up to Dance 2-4.
- I have been dancing for a long time. What should I do? You should audition for Scarlets the week of March 2-5, 2020! We move at a much faster pace and perform much more advanced choreography. Come see us perform at a football game this fall!