September 16-20 2019
Important Upcoming Dates-
Harper Hoedown: September 22 (rain date= September 29th)
Enrichment: Kindergarten- September 26th. Third grade- September 23/24th
PASS39 Parent Ice Cream Social: September 17th, 6:30-8:00 PM at the MEC. RSVP HERE
- PASS39 Morning Coffee to Connect Parents: October 2nd, 9:30-11:00 AM RSVP HERE
- Taffy Apples: October 2nd and 3rd
Book Fair: October 21-23
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL DAYS: 9/30, 10/9, 10/14
Environmental Awareness week: Mid October
Destination Imagination: Registration deadline is Friday, September 20th - more info below
PTO General Meeting at Harper: Wednesday, September 25th @9am. Special presentation on Nora Night
3rd and 4th Grade Curriculum Night
Thanks to our parents for another great turn out for the last of our Curriculum Night events. Our teachers appreciate the opportunity to describe their classroom culture and some general descriptions of curricular emphases.
Safety Drill Requirements
As we prioritize the safety and well-being of our students, we are required to conduct several drills.
· Our students and staff successfully completed our first Fire Drill on September 5th. Within 3 minutes, the building was evacuated.
· On September 16, we will conduct our Severe Weather Drill with staff and students.
· Then on September 20 we will do our Lock Down Drill.
Staff and students honored the victims and first responders of the September 11th tragedy. In addition to our flag being flown at half-mast, we all participated in a moment of silence during which students were asked to think of ways they treat others kindly.
Each teacher selected a grade-appropriate activity for his/her students. Some activity examples included using literature connections, such as:
· A Scholastic News article about a boy who runs in honor of first responders
· On That Day by Andrea Patel
· Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
We were also excited to welcome our new Superintendent, Dr. Kari Cremascoli. She participated in Mrs. Peterson’s classroom activity, focusing on community helpers and letter writing to police and firefighters.
Please join us for family fun at the 16th annual Harper Hoedown! Wear your cowboy hats, bandanas, and snakeskin boots to come celebrate autumn with Woody from Toy Story!
We will have fun for all ages with exciting games, petting zoo, pony rides, bounce houses, slides and pop-a-shot and food for purchase. New this year is a 50/50 raffle with 50% of the proceeds to benefit the Wilmette Food Pantry.
Sunday, September 22nd from 11:30 am—2:30 pm
Tickets available in advance or at the door
Bring canned goods for the Wilmette Food Pantry and receive 5 prize tickets
Tickets: Prices go up after Monday, September 16th at 5pm, so buy now and save $5 each! http://harperpto.com/harper-hoedown-2019/
$12 for kids ages 5 and up, $7 for adults (Prices after September 17th: $17 for ages 5 and up and $12 for adults). Ages 4 and under free.
And volunteers receive $5 worth of food tickets for helping for one hour. "Many hands make light work!" Please sign up here: Harper Hoedown 2019 Volunteer Sign Up Thank you!
Questions: Please email Hoedown@Harperpto.com or visit the Harper Hoedown under Events at Harperpto.com.
- Back by popular demand...Taffy Apples!!! Don't miss out on this Fall tradition! Delicious taffy apples will be for sale for $2 on October 2nd and 3rd after school in front of Harper. All proceeds go to the Harper PTO.
- Fall Box Tops Competition! Turn in box tops with the sheet you received in your student's backpack by Monday, October 13th to help Harper raise money for the Harper Maker Space! Each box top raises $0.10! The student who turns in the most box tops will win a $10 Amazon gift card. Also, paper box tops are phasing out and you will begin to see that box tops are going digital. Please visit btfe.com and download the app! Products HERE
- Interested in Destination Imagination (DI)? DI is a team-based creative problem-solving competition for kids grades K-12.
To find out more, attend a DI Info Presentation:
- Monday, Sept. 16th @ McKenzie 7pm-8pm Registration deadline is Sept. 20th. Register on the Harper PTO website. Questions? Email Courtney Beagen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harper Parent Social: Book your sitters and buy your tickets, this year's Parent Social will be held at A. Perry Homes in Downtown Wilmette. $50 a ticket gets you drinks, appetizers and a chance to mix and mingle with fellow Harper parents- always a lot of fun and we are hoping for a great turnout! Link to buy tickets: http://harperpto.com/category/events/parent-social/
- Enrichment: The Kindergarten classes will be going to the Emily Oaks Nature Center on September 26th for the"Time for Wonder" program. Guided by an Emily Oaks Timekeeper, students will use special tools in four fun activities designed to develop sensory awareness of the natural world. Thank you to iGNITE!
The third graders will be visiting Lake Forest Open Lands September 23rd and 24th. The students will have a hands-on experience exploring the prairie ecosystem. This program is made possible by iGNITE!
- Birthday Books! August and September birthdays will be celebrated in the library on Wednesday, September 25! Commemorate your child's birthday by donating a book to the Harper Library. The average cost of a new library book is $20 - after your payment has been received, your child will be able to select his / her book during Library time. A personalized bookplate placed inside the book will show everyone that your child has added this special book to the Harper library! Sign up here! http://harperpto.com/birthday-books/
- HELP STOCK THE TEACHERS LOUNGE. Show our wonderful teachers and staff appreciation by keeping the lounge stocked all year. To make it really easy, items can be dropped off ANY TIME OF THE DAY/ ANY DAY OF THE WEEK (see sign up genius for more info, link below) and thanks for your help! Here is a link to the sign-up genius for those that want to volunteer items for the lounge. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4faea722a3f58-stock
Thank you so much to those of you who have already donated to iGNITE! We are currently at 52% (218 students) participation. If you have not donated, it is not too late. There are 2 ways to donate:
1. Click on link: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! Folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper PTO and include your child's name on the check.
iGNITE! is our annual fundraiser at Harper. The money you donate, directly funds guest speakers, scientist, authors and field trips to enrich our children's curriculum.
If you have any questions or can’t remember if you made a donation, please reach out to Jill Huebsch. email@example.com
- Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Auto Historica XVI, Rockin’ the 60’s on September 22nd from 12:00 - 3:00 pm
- Rotary Club of Wilmette is hosting its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE October 1st - November 16th at all D39 schools. Start saving your gently used books!
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org