Equity & Inclusion Newsletter
STAFF Edition 2: October 2020
- This committee was established in 2018, and was recently renamed. We are in the process of finalizing an updated action plan and will share that with you.
- It is important that we are all aware of and thinking about the goals and commitments as a district that we are making to the work of equity, inclusivity, diversity.
- The committee is comprised of administrators, certified and classified staff, families, students, and community members.
- If you are interested in joining, you can contact Benay Woodford: email@example.com
This work requires commitment on everyone's part in order to continuously foster welcoming and inclusive schools, with intentionality and positive impact.
Monthly Read Aloud Video
We selected She Was the First: The Trailblazing Life of Shirley Chisholm (2020) by Katheryn Russell-Brown, illustrated by Eric Velasquez.
This book was read with permission from Lee & Low books.
This article is relevant for ALL STAFF, no matter the age groups you work with, and the links embedded in the article are great.
We find ourselves living in a country in a time of striking polarization, just before a presidential election. I hope this talk offers some moments of solace and collective grounding in what the language of being human really means, and how we can be sure we are using the language of being human with one another in Region 15.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Indigenous Peoples Day was Oct 12...Consider this:
This day offers us with an opportunity to critically reflect on taking action to appropriately acknowledge and teach meaningfully about the Indigenous people of the land of our Region. Recommend taking some time on here.
Upcoming, free professional learning opportunities
- October 21: Putting Your ABAR Lens to Practice, Liz Kleinrock
- October 28: Culturally Relevant Practices in Schools during COVID-19, Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings
- November 4: This Book Is Anti-Racist, Tiffany M. Jewell, & Dr. Peniel Joseph
- November 11: Techquity, Ken Shelton
- November 18: Toward Healing Centered Engagement in Classrooms, Schools and Communities, Dr. Christina Villarreal
This is a youtube video, so you can access it anytime.
October is LGBTQ+ history month, and an associated title I recommend for reading is: A Queer History of the United States for Young People