Welcome Students and Parents!
Welcome to the Summer 2014 Semester!
Important! Please Read!
Students and Parents,
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School. I will be your student's teacher. The student’s first task is to complete the Student Orientation Course. It is important to complete topics in order and complete all items on the checklist.
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course. Students will not gain access to the course until the first start date or one workday after the semester has begun on June 2, 2014.
During registration, students select a start date of June 2 (6 week) or June 9 (5 week). Regardless of the start date, the course ends July 12, 2013. Student work is due daily by midnight. Check course schedules for specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 2 school days with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins the day following the due date and is deducted at a rate of 25% of the assignment value per school day. Works submitted three days late will not be accepted and will remain a zero. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Important Parent Information
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. Link Child to Parent Account
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.
Help articles are available to show how to use your parent auditor account.
Georgia Virtual School will have a D2L Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
Tuesday, June 3 at 11AM
Thursday, June 5 at 7PM
Tuesday, June 10 at 11AM
Thursday, June 12 at 7PM
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
Additionally, I will conduct synchronous classes with students twice per week on Tuesday at 8pm and Thursday at 9am. If students cannot attend a meeting, recordings will be posted on the student’s course homepage.
If you have questions or concerns, feel free to email me or call at the number below.
Dana A. Bauries, M.S.
Department Coordinator and Master Teacher, Social Studies
Georgia Virtual School
Stay updated about GaVL