The Bobcat Beat
December 3, 2020
We hope that you had a great break with your family and loved ones! We certainly are missing having the children in school. At this time, as you know, the plan is for WCASD to resume the Hybrid Model on Monday, December 14th. If, for some reason, this were to change - it will be communicated to you from Dr. Scanlon and me.
As of now, the Schedule for the Week of December 14th:
Monday 12/14 and Tuesday 12/15: Cohort A in school, Cohort B remote
Wednesday, 12/16: All students virtual
Thursday, 12/17 and Friday, 12/18: Cohort B in school, Cohort A remote
Fern Hill Giving Tree: Obviously this year has been very difficult for many. We have families at Fern Hill that are struggling and need some extra support during the holiday season. Please see the flyer of information below and consider donating to our Fern Hill Holiday Giving Tree. We appreciate your kindness and generosity. Please see the flyer below - YOU CAN STILL GIVE UNTIL THE DEADLINE TOMORROW!!!!!
Report Cards: Our first trimester ended yesterday. Your child's report card (grades) will be visible on the Parent Portal on Thursday, December 17th. If you have issues logging into your Parent Portal, please try to reset your password. If that does not work, please reach out to Mrs. Zoretic (email@example.com) or 484.266.1602.
Tech Issues? If technical issues arise during remote learning, please use the following resources:
Tech Support @ Home – WCASD website with important information:
- Schoology / Seesaw Support
- Laptop / iPad Support
- Additional Resources
If there is an issue with your 1:1 device please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Need Spirit Wear?
Who wouldn’t love a little spirit wear for the Holidays?
We have some great options available for immediate delivery or pick up!!! https://fernhillpto.membershiptoolkit.com/packet/1866
FHE Holiday Giving Tree
Reminder from the Nurse
Please remember to notify the teacher and the school nurse if your child has a positive Covid test or has a direct exposure to a person testing positive for Covid, even if it occurs during remote learning. You can email Wendy McGregor, RN at email@example.com. We greatly appreciate everyone in our community following the safety protocols and keeping each other safe during this time.
Spirit Week December 14th-18th (not next week!)
Absent Note Change
The WCASD will start accepting parent notes via email for students who are absent from school and an original signature isn’t required. The email address must be registered in Power School and will be verified by the attendance secretary when the note is received. Parents can still choose to submit notes in paper form within five school days of the absence. The email needs to be sent to the building attendance secretary, not through Schoology or Seesaw. Phone calls will not be accepted as documentation of a student’s absence. This goes into effect for absences starting on December 14, 2020 and will remain in place until otherwise notified.
Please enter your home into our light parade and help spread more cheer this year! Decorations big and small will warm the hearts of all!
Complete the google form for entry.
Decorate your own Fern Hill Ornament!!!
Decorate your own paw print! Please fill out the google form with your order. Order now quantities are limited!
How to understand your child's report card?
Each year parents have questions about the report card grades, particularly in grades K-2 since they are standards-based. Please read this information to have a better understanding of our report cards.
The end of the trimester is December 2nd and the report cards will be visible on the Parent Portal on December 17th. We will send a reminder message on the 17th so you are aware that the grades for the first trimester are posted.
- In grade K-2, the West Chester Area School District (WCASD) utilizes standards-based reporting. Each child will receive a 1, 2, 2+, 3, or 4 for each standard addressed this trimester. Typically, if you see “N/A” it means that the standard has not yet been assessed. This year, your child may also receive N/A if we do not have enough data/information to accurately assess your child. Please remember the goals are end of year standards/expectations. In December, you will likely see many 2’s and some 1’s which is appropriate for this time of year because the expectation is that students meet the standards with a 3 by the third and final report card in June. In addition, please know that 4’s are rare to receive, even at the end of the school year. For a child to reach that level, he/she is performing significantly and consistently above the standard expectations.
- In grades 3-5, WCASD utilizes numeric grades (45-100) that correspond to letter grades (A, B, C, F) for core subjects. Please know that standard grading (1, 2, 3, 4) does not correlate to a letter grade. For example, a 3 in second grade does not mean a B in third grade. Teachers utilize various assessments, activities, and assignments to determine an overall grade. Parents are encouraged to stay abreast of progress via Parent Portal over the course of the entire trimester. Click here to set up parent portal weekly emails. This will help you stay on top of your child's grades.
- Learning support students and reading support students will receive progress reports at the same time that report cards go live on Parent Portal in December.
- All children in grades K-5, receive needs improvement (NI), progressing (P), or demonstrates consistently (DC) for Learning Related Behaviors (LRBs). In order to achieve DC, a child needs to exhibit the expectation close to 100% of the time. Progressing (P) is completely appropriate, as it captures a behavior that is observed on a regular basis. This year, your child may receive N/A if there is not enough data/information to accurately assess the LRB.
- Special Area Subjects for grades K-5, we utilize standards-based reporting as noted above for K-2. There will be items that our special area teachers will mark N/A as we do not have enough evidence/data to accurately assess.
WCASD Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide
We recognize that our students at home may feel isolated. Please know that one of our main goals is to help your children feel connected to their teacher, classroom and Fern Hill! Our district has a Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide to provide supports and resources if your child is having a difficult time through all of this. This guide provides Counselor and Mental Health Professionals' contact information, services, important forms, and additional resources for parents of students Kindergarten through 12th grade.
The WCASD created a Technology Support site. It is a great one-stop technology trouble shooting page.
Request for assistance - remote and cyber students
In an effort to provide additional support for students and parents during remote learning, the district has created a “Request for Academic Assistance” form for each of the WCASD schools. Students, parents and faculty may complete a form on behalf of a student who is struggling with attendance, work completion or social/emotional learning. This form will be reviewed by a member of the Multi-Tiered System of Supports Team (MTSS) to determine the available resources that can be provided. While the form is available, we still recommend reaching out directly to your child's teacher to discuss any concerns.