Reasons To Visit Matterhorn!
There are many reasons to visit the Matterhorn:
- You have probably seen this mountain on chocolate bars and boxes but visiting the mountain is truly breathtaking.
- It is recognized around the world as the proud symbol of Switzerland.
- The Matterhorn is a staggering 14,692 feet and it challenges mountaineers worldwide and welcomes non-energetic tourists as well, to enjoy the beauty.
- Whether traveling in the winter or summer, a railway called the Gornergrat (located in Zermatt) takes you the the legendary mountain.
Matterhorn Fast Facts!
- The Matterhorn is in the top ten highest mountains in Switzerland and one of 48 Swiss peaks that is above 4,000 meters in height.
- The word Matterhorn comes from the German word Matte meaning "meadow" and Horn meaning "peak."
- On July 14th, 1865, the first ascent by Edward Whymper, Charles Hudson, Lord Francis Douglas, Douglas Robert Hadow.