Kitchen Safety- Fires

Kitchen Fire Errupts in Shreveport Apartment Complex

More than 15 units with Shreveport Fire Department were on the scene of an apartment fire Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to the 9:49 a.m. call of a reported fire at Stone Canyon Apartments in the 8900 block of Youree Drive.

The fire allegedly started in the lower-level of the complex when an apartment's stove started a flame in the kitchen, said SFD's chief assistant Fred Sanders. By the time firefighter's extinguished the flames, the fire had spread into the walls and ceiling and moved up to the second floor.

Firefighters moved upstairs where another fire had broken out in the walls, floor and attic of the second-level apartment, said Sanders. The fire was brought under control at 10:19 a.m.

The cause has been determined as a cooking accident and no injuries were reported.

Three Ways to prevent your kitchen to catch on fire

1. Never leave cooking food unattended

2. Check your food regularly while cooking

3. Don’t wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.

Treating Kitchen Burns

1. Cover the burn with a sterile bandage or a clean cloth

2. Run cool water over the burned area