Johnson's Law Firm

Module 7 Lesson 2 Mastery Assignment

Speciallizing in Civil Law

Johnson's Law Firm, specializes in civil court cases. This can include Lawsuits. Lawsuits are when one person sues another for damages. You can also file a suit for equity. We are here to help you, no matter what the case may be!

Are you a Plaintiff or a Defendant?

The first step is deciding whether you are a Plaintiff or a Defendant.
The Plaintiff is the person or party filing a lawsuit.
The Defendant is the individual or group being sued or charged with the crime.

What is the First Thing I need to Do?

First you hire us! We will then file a complaint with the proper court. The complaint is the formal statement naming both the plaintiff and the defendant and describing the lawsuit.
Next, the court will send a summons. The summons is a document that tells the defendant of the suit against him/her. It orders them to appear in court on a certain day at a certain time.

What can I Expect Next?

The defendant could have their attorney 'answer' with a complaint. The complaint and the answer together are called the pleadings.
The next step is pretrial discussions or pretrial conference.

Mediation and Arbitration Trial

You may then be asked to attend mediation. Mediation is a situation where a third party will help the plaintiff and the defendant reach an agreement.
Or, You could be asked to attend a Arbitration Trial. An arbitration trail is a situation where a third party listens to both the plaintiff and defendant. The third party will then review the case and make a final decision that is binding for both parties.
Both of these options allow the matter to be settled outside of Court.

A Prepondenerance of Evidence

The lawyers from both sides will then gather evidence to help the case.

A Verdict is Reached

After the trial, a verdict is reached by the judge or the jury. The verdict is the decision. Either the Defendant has to pay or the Plaintiff will lose and get nothing, leaving the plaintiff to pay the court costs.

Still Unhappy?

If you believe that something went wrong within the case, then he/she can ask for a review from a higher court.

Come see Us!

No matter the problem, come see us for all your civil court needs.

Johnson's Law Firm
888 Johnson Street
Raleigh, NC