She's the...Twelfth Night?
by Kayla Van De Flier
- In She's the Man, one example of low comedy is the "Tampon Scene". in this scene Viola gets caught by Duke with tampons and has to explain why she has them.
- In The Twelfth Night an example of low comedy is when Malvolio wears the yellow stockings, " Malvolio: 'Remember who commended thy yellow stockings,'- Olivia: Thy Yellow stockings!'"
- In both situations there is humor in the situations. Since we laugh at the people, this is low comedy.
In She's the Man and The Twelfth Night Viola's identity is mistaken for a male.
- She's the Man: Viola gets called Sebatian by Monique because of her "lack of curves".
- Twelfth Knight: "Conceal me what I am, and be my aid for such disguise as haply shall become..."
- These mistaken identities are examples of farce comedy.
Comedy of Ideas
- In She's the Man when Justin asks Viola to "be a girl for 5 seconds" this is making fun of ones sex , making it comedy of manners.
- The scene in the play when Orsino tells Cesario that a women cannot love as much as a man because their heart isn't as big is gender based comedy, making it comedy of ideas.
Comedy of Manner
- In She's the Man when "Sebastian" breaks up with Monique, it is an example of comedy of manners because he puts down Monique and doesn't care about her feelings.
- In the play Viola puts down Clown by saying, "Art thou not the Lady Olivia's fool?". This is an example of comedy of manner because Viola is making fun of Clown.