Chinese Holidays and Celebrations
By: Katelyn Hammerand
Chinese New Year (between January 21st and February 20th)
To celebrate a great year of hard work and to relax with your family.
- Eating reunion dinners with family
- Setting off Fireworks on the streets
- giving red envelopes of best wishes
Qingming Festival (Tomb Sweeping Day) April 4th or 5th
To show respect and worship ancestors.
- sweep the tombs
- remove the weeds
- offer them food, tea, and wine
- Add fresh soil to the graves
- put willow branches on the tomb
Dragon Boat Festival (5th day of the 5th month on the lunar calendar)
Its a day off for the Chinese.
- Originated from Qu Yuans Suicide in 278 BCE during the Warring States Period in China.
- Race Dragon Boats
- Eat rice dumplings and drink wine
- People wear perfumed medicine bags.
- Take long walks
- Write Spells