by Alyssa Britz
Icarus and I by kadugodi
McKinley easily won the nomination for president again in 1900 and was again opposed by William Jennings Bryan. Theodore Roosevelt was his Vice President. The main issue of the campaign was America's growing imperialism which the Democrats spoke against. McKinley won with 292 out of 447 electoral votes
McKinley's time in office was important because the U.S. officially became a world colonial power. Further, America officially placed its money on the gold standard.
- During McKinley's time in office, Hawaii was annexed. The first step towards statehood . In 1898, the Spanish-American War began with the Maine incident.
- On April 25, 1898, war was declared against Spain.. U.S. troops then captured Manila and took possession of the Philippines.
- In Cuba, Santiago was captured. The U.S. also captured Puerto Rico before Spain asked for peace. On December 10, 1898, the Paris Peace Treaty was created which had Spain give up its claim to Cuba and give Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippine Islands in exchange for $20 million.
- One final important act during McKinley's time in office was the Gold Standard Act where by the U.S. was officially placed on the gold standard.
- Advocating for isolationism was one of the failures of President William McKinley. By his second term, when he realized the policy needed to change and spoke of it in a speech, he was shot and killed.
- Open Door policy where the U.S. asked for China to make it so that all nations would be able to trade equally in China. However, in June 1900 the Boxer Rebellion occurred in China which targeted Western missionaries and foreign communities. The Americans joined forces with Great Britain, France, Germany, Russia, and Japan to stop the rebellion.
- Tecumseh's Curse: Presidents elected in a year ending in a zero would die in office.
1896- McKinleyPatriotism, Protection, and Prosperity
1896- McKinley Good Money Never Made Times Hard
1900- A Full Dinner Pail
Secretary of State John Sherman, 1897
William R. Day, 1898
John Hay, 1898
Secretary of the Treasury Lyman J. Gage, 1897
Secretary of War Russell A. Alger, 1897
Elihu Root, 1899
Attorney General Joseph McKenna, 1897
John W. Griggs, 1898
Philander C. Knox, 1901
Postmaster General James A. Gary, 1897
Charles E. Smith, 1898
Secretary of the Navy John D. Long, 1897
Secretary of the Interior Cornelius N. Bliss, 1897 Ethan A. Hitchcock,
1898 Secretary of Agriculture James Wilson, 1897
Ranked 15th or 16th of our presidents
Historian Survey Results
Total Score 599 601
Overall Rank 16 15
Final Score Category Ranking
Moral Authority 58%
From c-span link
Is he electable today?
- Cabinet Members Under McKinley | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0101236.html#ixzz2ux1i0HsG