Fort Thomas Independent Schools Employee Newsletter
Volume 2 Issue 10
It’s here! The end of another school year is upon us. I am sure that the natives are restless in your classrooms, many in anticipation of a joyous summer break, and others (seniors) who are filled with excitement about moving on to the next chapter in their life journey.
I would be remiss if I did not take advantage of this opportunity to say thanks so much for your hard work and dedication throughout the school year. Our students have grown immensely, accomplishing great things along the way. Even with our long-standing tradition of excellence, I would venture to say that never has the public perception of the Fort Thomas Independent School District been stronger than it is today. All of this is a direct reflection on your commitment to student achievement.
While I realize that many of you will have a summer break filled with graduate courses and other professional responsibilities, I am hopeful that you will find at least some time for rest and relaxation. This, too, is an important ingredient for success. I look forward to seeing you all in August.
Have a great summer!
TECHNOLOGY BITS & BYTES
This Issue’s Tip – Staying Connected
Being physically away from the school buildings in Fort Thomas during the summer months does not mean you cannot stay in touch with current happenings. Please do not forget the following methods of communication that will not take a break over the summer!
- Cable Access Channel (Fort Thomas residents only), Channel 20 TWC and 830 FiOptics
- District Website (http://www.fortthomas.kyschools.us)
- Microsoft Outlook Web Access for checking your school email from any computer in the world with Internet access (click the Email link from the district’s home page)
- Twitter – Follow us @FTSchools
- Facebook – Find and Like our page – Fort Thomas Independent Schools
BE IN THE KNOW
UPCOMING APRIL CALENDAR EVENTS
June 2 - Last Day for Students
June 3 - Closing Day for Teachers
June 4 & 5 - Professional Development Days
June 8 - Board Meeting at Central Office - 6:30pm
Rank Change Reminder
Verification of completion of the course work necessary to achieve a change in Rank for 2015-16 must be on file in the Central Office by September 15, 2015.
YMCA Firecracker 5K
It's not too late! Send your registration form to Peggie Hughes to join the fun walking/running the 4th of July YMCA Firecracker 5000!
My Fort Thomas
Don't forget to check out the My Fort Thomas website - "The place for everything about anything Fort Thomas" at www.myfortthomas.com.
FACULTY & STAFF NEWS
Welcome to Our New Principals
Johnson Elementary Principal Coming Soon!
Our Sympathies to...
Carter Bechtol - Speech and Drama, Prose
David Ketcham – Journalism, Feature Writing
Noah Moore - National Spanish Exam, Level II
Allison Camm - National History Day
Rosemanie Long - Track - Triple Jump
Ethan Shuley - Track: 1600, and 3200
Matt Gray, Will Backscheider, Devin Dupont & Ethan Shuley - Track: 4x800
Katie Wilson - Letters About Literature, Level I
HHS Softball team for their Region 9 runner-up position.
Congratulations to the HHS journalism staff on their recent awards in the state journalism contest for Class AA.
· Ava Vardiman – 3rd place in Newswriting
· David Ketcham – 1st place in Feature Writing
· Madison Hoffpauir – Honorable Mention in Feature Writing
· Matthew Crockett – 2nd place in Sports Writing
· Sydney Velazquez – Honorable Mention, 3rd and 2nd place for Newspaper Front Page Design for multiple issues
· Sydney Velazquez – 3rd and 2nd place for Newspaper Two-Page Layout Design for multiple issues
Entire Staff Awards
· 3rd and 2nd place in Overall Newspaper Design for multiple issues
· 3rd place in Newspaper General Excellence
· 1st place in Yearbook Cover Design
· Honorable Mention for Overall Yearbook Design
· 3rd place for Yearbook Theme Development
· 3rd place for Yearbook Overall Coverage
Letters About Literature national contest winners. Level 1 which is grades 4-6 and I had 3 students place at the state level. Katie Wilson placed 1st (she won for the state of KY), Olivia Hoffmann placed 2nd, and Savannah King received Honorable Mention.
Kindergartener Isabelle Atkins reached 100 AR points! Wow, what a dedicated reader!!
“Empty Bowls Empty Bellies” Service Learning Project that Woodfill 5th graders have participated in for the last 4 years. As a result of this project, we were able to present the Freestore Foodbank with a check for $662.27. They will use this donation to provide students in our area with food outside of the normal school day. (See photos below.)
Moyer kindergarteners had a fun trip to the Fort Thomas Library! They are ready to read all summer!