VCR Lesson 7
Select the Most Appropriate Word from Lesson 7 to Fill in the Blank
2. The special court of the Roman Catholic church in the Middle Ages to combat, suppress, and punish heresy
- the word must be capitalized when referring to this definition
Inquisitor, n. "an official in an Inquisition" or "a person making an inquisition"
Inquisitorial, adj. "of or like an inquisitor"
-compared to the adversarial system, which is more commonly employed in the US, in which two parties are pitted against one another to uncover the truth
in, L. "in"
History of Inquisition
-began in the 12th century in France
-most famous example is the Spanish Inquisition
-In 1478 to maintain Catholic control, primarily targeting Jews and Muslims, forcing them to convert or flee Spain
Select the Sentence in which the Bolded Word is Used Incorrectly
2. On his report card, Henry's teacher raved that he was an inquisitive boy, often asking probing questions which prompted interesting class discussion.
3. Due to her profession as a surgeon, Susan was forced to endure an inquisition for a medical malpractice case, to ensure that she had upheld her oath to "do no harm."
4. John was a known advocate for the inquisitorial system, arguing that the inherently antagonistic nature of the American legal system was not conducive to finding solutions to conflict.