5th & 6th Grade Weekly Newsletter
June 3, 2016
UOI # 6: Sharing the Planet
Central Idea: Human activities can influence our world's climate and the environment.
Lines of Inquiry:
- Changes to the Earth's atmosphere affect our weather conditions today.
- The way people live causes extreme weather around the world.
- Preventing climate change is the responsibility of all people.
- The three branches of government have a responsibility towards the environment.
Key Concepts: Causation (Why is it like it is?) and Responsibility (What is our responsibility?)
Learner Profile Attributes: Communicator and Knowledgeable.
Highlights from Class this Week
Unit of Inquiry/Language Arts
Students have been working on:
- reading and analyzing expository essays, and identifying the parts of the essay.
- writing expository paragraphs.
- Vocabulary Workshop Unit 13.
- discovering why Earth is called the water planet.
- the relative amounts of fresh water and salt water, and their distribution on Earth.
- travels of a water drop through the water cycle.
5th Grade: Fractions
Students are able to
- multiply any whole number by a fraction using tape diagrams.
- relate a fraction of a set to the repeated addition interpretation of fraction multiplication.
6th Grade: Area of Triangles, Quadrilaterals, and Polygons
Students are able to
- understand that the height of the triangle is the perpendicular segment from a vertex of a triangle to the line containing the opposite side. The opposite side is called the base.
- understand that any side of a triangle can be considered a base and that the choice of base determines the height.
- Students construct the altitude for three different cases: an altitude that is a side of a right angle, an altitude that lies over the base, and an altitude that is outside the triangle.
Pictures From This Week
- Learner Profile Attribute of June: Knowledgeable. IB students explore concepts, ideas, and issues that have local and global significance. In so doing, they acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines. Keep track of your instances in your LP passport. Passports are due by Thursday, June 16th. This is the last LP passport of the school year, so be Principled and remember to fill it out and turn it in ON TIME!
- Ramadhan Schedule: For the next 2 weeks of school, we will be running on a Ramadhan Schedule. School will start with assembly at 9 a.m. There will be a shorter lunch/recess of 20 minutes. We would like to encourage all students in the 5th/6th grade to practice fasting to prepare them for compulsory fasting. However, if your child needs to eat lunch, they may do so during the 20 mins allocated. Any students fasting will use this time as recess.
- Solar lamps for Gaza fundraiser: Our class will start selling iftar good bags from Monday. The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Whoever feeds the person who is breaking his fast, he will have his reward (for his fasting) without decreasing anything from the reward of the fasting person.” However, not all students have been able to bring in the items they had signed up for. Please ensure your child brings into school their contribution by Monday, June 6th.
We are hoping to run this fundraiser through the last two weeks of school, and all proceeds will be for solar lamps for Gaza.
Upcoming Unit 13 Vocabulary Words
Summative Assessment will be on Friday, June 10th, Insha Allah.
This will be our last vocabulary summative of the year! Please study hard!
You can access lots of resources using the links below.
class username: minions
class password: mangahigh