Kindergarten Knightly News
Learning, Loving, & Growing
Don't forget there is no school Monday and Tuesday of next week. I look forward to seeing you back at school on Wednesday, February 17th!
What Happened This Week...
- Our class finished reading My Father's Dragon. What a great story! We are looking forward to starting the next book in the series, Elmer and the Dragon.
- We worked on making tally marks and creating a graph using candy heart. We discussed the greatest and least numbers, as well as adding totals.
- Our class used PebbleGo.com to do research on American symbols. We went to the iLab and used the computers. After picking our favorite symbols, we wrote down facts that we learned. Our class is becoming a wonderful group of researchers!
- We learned about describing words and how to use them to make our writing more interesting. We did animal research and sorted animals by adjectives (prickly, wet, humongous, fluffy). Then our class each described a piece of valentine candy by how it looks, feels, sounds, smells, and tastes. Yummy!
- Our class read Love, Splat and then made a valentine for the special people in our lives: our families!
- We learned about the Statue of Liberty and the Liberty Bell. We did an experiment with pennies and vinegar to see how pollution affected the color of copper just like with the Statue of Liberty. After a week of soaking in vinegar, it was cool to see the copper brown color begin to turn to a blue green! We also did an experiment to see how two bells rang differently when one bell was cracked.
- Our class had a great time seeing each other's Valentine boxes and passing out cards and sweets to friends. Thanks for your help with this activity!
Things to Know
Salute to America
Kindergarten will begin preparing for our special "Salute to America" program to take place on February 25th at 9:00 am. This is an exciting program where all of Kindergarten will be preforming songs together for their families and the school in the cafeteria. Please make plans to attend! On Wednesday, your child will be bringing home a copy of the poem we will be saying in the program. Please help them say the poem "loud and proud" and practice it each night!
This is just a reminder that there will be NO SCHOOL on February 15th and 16th. School will resume on February 17th.
Oliver and Ryan have both met their AR goal. Way to go, guys! They were featured on the announcements this week and given a special medal. We are so proud of the work they have done. Keep on reading!
Box Tops are due next week. This is a class collection month and the class that brings in the most will get an ice cream party! So if you have Box Tops at home, please send them in! We collect Box Tops each month and they are a huge help to our school. It's like a dime taped to every box!