Tech Tips #2.25
Week of March 2, 2015
URL shorteners allow for a website URL to be made shorter in length but still direct to the required page. For example, http://schools.gccisd.net/default.aspx?name=et.home can be shortened to http://goo.gl/WPUkjZ or http://bit.ly/gccisdedtech
Two popular URL shorteners are shown below.
Sharing Links using URL shorteners
Google URL Shortener
- Automatically creates a QR code in addition to the shortened URL.
- If you are logged into a Google account, all shortened URLs are saved (along with traffic analytics).
- Shortened URLs are case sensitive. If the URL has a capital letter, it must be capitalized when the user types it in.
- Uses letters and numbers that could be confusing to decipher by some students. Examples: I (capital letter i), l (lower case L), 0 (number zero), O (capital letter o).
- Allows for customized URLs with a FREE bitly account.
- If you are logged into a Bitly account, all shortened URLs are saved (along with traffic analytics).
- No automatic QR code generator.
- Auto-generated URLs are case senstive. If the URL has a capital letter, it must be capitalized when the user types it in. Avoid this by using custom URL.