Weekly Roundup 15
Information from SMS: Week of December 5th
Our band and chorus students have been working hard to prepare for their concert on Wednesday, December 7 at 6 PM. We hope to have the gym packed to see them! Their talent is truly amazing.
I have also been impressed with how many students worked hard this past week to get their work turned in. If your child is still having problems completing assignments on time, please email myself of their guidance counselor to sign them up for our after school program. We have a bus that takes the students home at 4:40. During this after school time, they work on completing their assignments and studying for their tests. It takes about three days for bus arrangements to be made. Therefore, we need to know as soon as possible if you would to enroll them in the program
This week students will be taking the Math and Reading STAR test. In homeroom on Monday, students will look at their prior scores and set goals for improvement and growth. We are closely watching the growth of each student this year. To help your student do his/her best, please make sure your child goes to bed at a reasonable time and eats a healthy breakfast in the morning, at home or at school. Your help at home to make sure they are physically and mentally prepared is greatly appreciated and will help your child tremendously. The scores on these tests help us know how to support each student as we move into second semester and the end of the year.
Our boys' basketball team plays Banks Trail at home this upcoming Thursday. I will be there again and am willing to chaperone our students who want to watch the game whose parents cannot stay with them. We did this for the PKMS game and students did a wonderful job cheering on our teams and actually watching the game. The only concern was the amount of trash left in the student section. We will try it again, and we will work to make sure that section is clean before students leave. This offer is ONLY FOR SMS STUDENTS FOR THE BANKS TRIAL GAME! Students must go home first, and then come back for the game. They should purchase a ticket online using GoFan. There will also be a sign-up on the website under the students tab starting on Monday so I can know who I am chaperoning. Students should be signed-up by Thursday morning at 8:00 AM. If a student shows up and has not signed up, he/she will not be allowed in without a parent. If this night goes as well as the first and the trash is cleaned up, we will do this again at a girls' home game.
I hope you all have a wonderful week! I hope we all find a way to reach out to someone and show random kindness or a little bit of grace during this time of the year.
This edition includes:
- Important Dates
- Spirit Night Announcement:
- PTO Meeting Announcement
- Ways you can support and show appreciation to our staff this holiday season.
**Below are reminders that have been posted weekly**
- Sponsors from our Day of Service
- Spirit Rock link
- "Away for The Day" - 2nd quarter cell phone/smartwatch/earbuds policy
- Applying to be a volunteer
- Volunteering to Read Aloud to a Group
- Early Dismissal Procedure Reminder
- December 6th - Empire Pizza Spirit Night 5-8 (10% of all sales)
- December 7th - Band and Chorus Concert
- December 8th - Basketball Games vs. Banks Trail (Boys are at home)
- December 12th - 16th - Book Fair
- December 12th - 16th - Nine Weeks' Exams
- December 13th- PTO Meeting and SIC Meeting
- December 19th-- All late work is due for credit for 2nd Quarter
- December 21st - Half Day for Students
- December 21st- Last Day of First Semester
3 Ways to show appreciation and support this month to our Staff!
- Cookie Exchange Link to Sign up (for parents to sign up): Goodies Due on Monday, December 12th: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d48a4af29a1ff2-cookie We have 37 of the 50 spots taken! Thank you!
- Send in any gift cards ($10-$20) or email gift cards to email@example.com -- Teachers have already received some gift cards as prizes for fun games we are playing! There are many more to earn. They love those gift cards.
- Our "Let Me Run" group of boys is doing an end of season community giveback project. They are collecting school supplies to donate to the teachers and students at SMS. School supplies can be dropped off in the media center or front office between now and the end of the semester (December 21st). (Pencils, tissues, post-it notes, highlighters, pens of all different colors, etc.) Many teams send out a donations list of needs in their weekly updates. Any donations are appreciated!
WEEKLY REMINDERS (Everything below is a repeat of information to refer to if you need a refresher.) to refresh yourself on.)
EARLY DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
Class time is valued and we strive to interrupt class periods as little as possible.
- When your child requires early dismissal, on the day of dismissal, send a signed, handwritten NOTE to school with your child that includes date and dismissal time.
- When your child arrives at school, he/she should bring the note to Mrs. Kilyanek’s (Miss K) room and she will mark your child’s agenda with the dismissal time.
- At dismissal time, your child will meet you in our front office - please sign your child out on the front office computer.
- If your child must leave early and has not brought in a note, we will call your child to the office during the next class change. You are welcome to wait in our front office lobby.
- We realize emergencies happen - if you have one and must interrupt class time, we will ask that you first speak with an administrator.
- Students will not be dismissed after 2:40 PM. They must wait for the 3:10 dismissal bell.
"AWAY FOR THE DAY" - QTR 2 POLICY RE: CELL PHONES, APPLE WATCHES, EARBUDS, ETC.
Now that we are entering 2nd quarter and everyone is aware of the "Away for the Day" movement, we are changing the consequences. We know that at this point if students have a phone or other item on them during the day, it is because they have chosen to go against school policy.
The 2nd quarter consequences are:
1st Offense: After-school detention on the following Tuesday or Thursday (whichever comes first.) Also for 7 days, phone/earbuds/smartwatches must be turned in each morning to the front office. Students can claim the item at the end of the school day.
2nd Offense: After-school detention on the following Tuesday or Thursday (whichever comes first.) Also for 14 days, phone/earbuds/smartwatches must be turned in each morning to the front office. Students can claim the item at the end of the school day.
3rd Offense: After-school detention on the following Tuesday or Thursday (whichever comes first.) Also for 30 DAYS phone/earbuds/smartwatches must be turned in each morning to the front office. Students can claim the item at the end of the school day.
Offenses more than 3 will be handled on a case by case basis.
We ask for your support to teach our students that being present in the moment without distractions from these items is extremely important! I have to give our students a big shout out! We have so many less cell phone problems this school year. We know there are still some devices out there, but we hope those students will eventually learn to let go of their devices, as it is an addiction, and keep them in their lockers. Overall, the student body has been doing a fantastic job! Our teachers have also been doing a fantastic job by not allowing the use of these items in their classes.
Thank you again for your support! It takes all of us to teach important skills to our youth!
Applying To Be A Volunteer
We need you!
To help ensure safety, background screens for volunteers are necessary. If you have submitted your information in prior school years, please confirm with us that you are on the approved list before completing an application again. You may email Mrs. Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please follow the link below to submit your online application to volunteer. In order to submit a background check, you must have a social security number and driver's license. Without these documents, a full and complete background check cannot be performed. You must use your full legal name when completing the form.