SLVUSD Charter News
Vol 1.6 - Week of Oct 16, 2023
From the Principal
Here's hoping you had a great long weekend! Lots to talk about over these next two weeks!
As we get closer to the fun dress up day of Oct 31/Halloween, please watch for information from your child's program. Costumes are optional on that day, and students are reminded that since we are a TK-12 program, we follow these guidelines:
- Costumes should be in good taste and safely constructed so that they do not interfere with activities.
- Gruesome costumes, including those with fake blood or fake wounds are not appropriate for our school.
- Weapons (including fakes) are not permitted.
- Full coverage face masks, skateboards and roller blades are not allowed as part of costumes.
- Please do not let your child bring candy to school for lunch.
2. Public photographs
Please email me if you would like your child's name added to the "do not photograph" list, so that they are NOT featured in newsletters, or on our website or Instagram account. We only have a handful of students on that list and I'd be happy to make that adjustment. (It's something you sign up for when you do the online Powerschool registration.)
3. Facilities Use
Some useful info about facilities requests for our district and charter facilities: Please see below for where you can book a room, and also view the availability of said location (first link is to the booking page; second link is to the calendar):
Boulder Creek Elementary
San Lorenzo Valley Charter School
San Lorenzo Valley Elementary School
San Lorenzo Valley Middle School
San Lorenzo Valley High School
Student Nutrition Services
4. Parenting Workshops
Triple P have updated their Positive Parenting Workshop list for October! Go to https://www.first5scc.org/triple-p-classes and register on the website. All of these classes are on Zoom. Workshops are all free, grant funded by First Five of Santa Cruz.
5. Emergency info/communication
I wanted to remind parents that that district Emergency plans are available here on the website, and are reviewed and updated annually. In the event of a school closure or other emergency, we will be following the protocols in place here for parent communication.
(Also, just a reminder to NA parents who need to get a message to students about end-of-day pick up plans that may have changed: we can't guarantee any messages after 1:40pm/25 mins before the last bell, so please do your best to get those to us ahead of that time.)
6. Guide to Resources for Families in SLV
Here's a handy one-pager listing various organizations and resources for families in the San Lorenzo Valley.
7. Homework Help at the Public Library
Bring your assignments to one of the FREE drop-in Homework Help sessions at one of the following public libraries.
Tuesdays from 3:00p to 5:00p.
Downtown, 224 Church St., Santa Cruz
Felton, 6121 Gushee St.
Capitola, 2005 Wharf Rd.
La Selva Beach, 316 Estrella Ave.
Open to all students up to grade 12.
Call 831.427.7713 for more information.
8. Reminder about pick up safety
We're seeing an increase in the number of drivers who use the top section of the DO driveway to turn their cars around at pick up time, and this is causing safety issues. Please be sure to make a turn as far from the district driveway as possible, or drive all the way down and make the turn in the parking lot via the painted arrows; also, please don't park in the bus pick up lane, and never, never pass the bus on Marion Ave (going either way) if it's parked and loading students, with the stop sign showing. Thank you for your help keeping all our students safe!
9. Santa Cruz County Office of Ed - Family Survey
The Santa Cruz County Office of Education is seeking feedback from families across the school community. Your voice matters and will help inform future family engagement priorities and initiatives! The survey is anonymous and takes only a few minutes. Click here to access the survey.
Here's to a great week ahead!
News and Announcements
Charter Middle School Halloween Dance and Games Night!
The 2023 Charter Middle School Halloween Dance and Game Night is on! All the middle school booster clubs are working together to create a fun night of dancing, games, and treats for our 6th - 8th graders, on Friday 10/27 from 6:00-8:30pm. DJ Papa Bear will be playing all your favorite music.
Parents, please volunteer to help or donate items! Sign Up to volunteer/donate by clicking here. It takes a charter village to make this memorable for our wonderful students!
We also ask for a $5 donation per student at the entrance of the dance to recover costs, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Wear your best costumes to be in the running for a spooktacular trophy in this year’s costume contest. It’s going to be a blast!
Please direct any questions about this event to Julie Chapin (email@example.com)
Note: Charter students are not participating in the SLVMS Halloween Dance; we will be doing a joint Spring Dance with the middle school in April - date to be determined!
Paint n Sip party
Come support the Nature Academy and SLV Theater Boosters and have a ton of fun at the next Paint and Sip Fundraiser, Saturday November 11th at Armitage Wines in Scotts Valley from 1 - 4pm.
Hope to see you there! All Charter parents welcome!
(Guided painting. Create your own masterpiece. No experience necessary!)
Tues, 10/24 - SLV Charter Parent Advisory Council
Please join us for the first meeting of the 23-24 SLVUSD Charter School Parent Advisory Council! We will meet on the fourth Tuesday of each month, from 9:15 - 10:15am in the Multi Purpose Room or Library (depending on numbers). Here is a look at the agenda for October.
(The PAC is not a fund raising body. This group provides input and feedback on school policies and procedures so as to support ongoing parent involvement in their children's program. All Charter parents are welcome!)
Looking ahead - save the date!
Month of October: LGBTQ+ History Month
Mon, Oct 16- Advanced Band rehearsal - 5pm in the Multi Purpose Room
Tues, Oct 17 - Ga-ga Ball pit reserved for elementary programs every Tuesday lunch time
- Dance Flash Mob - 2:45pm - MPR
- Beginner Band rehearsal - 6pm in the Multi-purpose room
Wed, Oct 18 - All Charter Play Info Night - 6pm in the Multi Purpose Room
Thurs, Oct 19 - Spirit Day! Pajama Dress-up Day!
-- Student Council - 8:15 - 8:45am - Alex's room
- CRHS Field Trip
- Dungeons and Dragons Club meeting - 2 - 4pm - Alex's room
Fri, Oct 20 - Dance Flash Mob - 2:45pm - MPR
Sat, Oct 21 - ACT Teen Public Art workshop at the Felton Library at 1pm - Click here to register
Week of 10/23 - 27 - College & Career Week
Mon, Oct 23 - Advanced Band rehearsal - 5pm in the Multi Purpose Room
- Cabrillo College Night - 6pm - Please visit the website for more information. Career and College Fair
Tues - Thurs 10/24 - 26 - Fire Dept Safety presentations for TK-8 programs (thank you to Megan Turk for setting these up for us!)
Tues, Oct 24 - Parent Advisory Council meeting - 9:15am MPR or Library
- Ga-ga Ball pit reserved for elementary programs every Tuesday lunch time
- Dance Flash Mob - 2:45pm - MPR
- Beginner Band rehearsal - 6pm - MPR
Thurs, Oct 26 - Student Council - 8:15 - 8:45am - Library
- Dungeons & Dragons Club meeting - Alex's room - 2-4pm
Fri, Oct 27- - Dance Flash Mob - 2:45pm - MPR
- Charter Middle School Dance/ Games Night - 6pm - MPR
Sat, Oct 28 - Homecoming Dance - SLVHS - 7:30pm
Tues, Oct 31 - Halloween Dress up Day!
Wed, Nov 1 - NO SCHOOL (PD Day)
Tues, Nov 7 - CRHS Picture Make up Day 9:30 - 11:30am
Thurs, Nov 9 - TK-8 Picture Make up Day 9:30 - 11:30am
Fri, Nov 10 - NO SCHOOL (Veteran's Day Holiday)
- A1 Mondays are 3pm dismissal at the tricampus;
- A2 Mondays are 2:05pm dismissal at Nature Academy;
- O days are Tues/Thurs, dismissal 2:05pm;
- E days are Wed/Fri, dismissal 2:05;
- Minimum Days dismiss at 12:05;
- Short Mondays dismiss at 1:19pm
- Excursion Days (dates not all finalized) - times are individual to the excursion
Student Council Update from Teacher Alex
Our first Spirit Day is on Thursday, October 19 - Pajama Day! Please encourage your student to participate - we look forward to seeing everyone in their comfy cosy PJ's!
Student Council members who are interested in being Officers (communication leaders for their class), elections will be happening this week in the classrooms. The Council will vote for their President and V-P at Thursday's meeting (10/19). If your child is interested in one of these positions, have them come with their reasons to support their election!
Student Council meets every Thursday in the Library from 8:15 - 8:45am. Any student is welcome!
Ongoing information from previous Charter News
Did you know that our district maintains a "Community Opportunities" website? This is for parents / students to receive information about current local events and opportunities for adults and/or children.
Note: The San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District does not sponsor or endorse any of the organizations or events that are located here. They are non-school sponsored events and are not being promoted by the school district. All postings are provided as a courtesy to the parents/students.
If you’re interested in following our Instagram account, showcasing news and events from SLVUSD Charter School, here is the info:
“I'm on Instagram as slvcharterschool. Install the app to follow my photos and videos, or click this link: https://instagram.com/slvcharterschool?igshid=MzMyNGUyNmU2YQ==
(Please know that we will be very careful not to post pictures of students on the "Do not Photograph" list.)
And if you haven't started following the District Instagram accoount, look for "slvusd" and click "Follow!"
We hope to see a positive improvement in our attendance rates this year, and encourage our families to support your student in participating consistently, whether it be in a homeschool program where work completion = attendance, or in our classroom-based 5 day a week Nature Academy. Students who are absent 10% or more in a school year are typically "less proficient in reading, writing and math than their peers with good attendance" (Source: CA Dept of Ed.) Thank you for being our partners in supporting good attendance.
New! Volunteer application hours - PLEASE NOTE: The Charter Office and SLVUSD Human Resources Office hours will process volunteer registrations on Tuesdays from 7:00-11:00 am and Thursdays from 12:30-3:30 pm. The Human Resources Office is located at 325 Marion Avenue, Ben Lomond, CA 95005.
All Charter parents are encouraged to register with the District as a volunteer and a field trip driver. (All parents are asked to drive on excursions...)
Please click here to access the required volunteer paperwork. Hard copy paperwork is also available at the Charter Office.
To use your personal vehicle to transport your own or other students, we will need updated driver information on file as well - please click here for the form.
Ø New Volunteer: You will be required to fill out the volunteer paperwork and obtain a signature from the principal. Once complete, please bring your signed paperwork to the Human Resources Office. You will be required to provide a current TB result. Also, all new volunteers will be required to be fingerprinted.
Ø Returning Volunteer: You will be required to provide current TB results. This documentation can be provided to the Charter office. The school site will forward current TB results to the Human Resources Office. You may also bring current TB results directly to the Human Resources Office.
If your child takes the bus to or from school, please remember you will need to purchase a bus pass. Please click here to access the Transportation web page with all the information you will need.
ALL Nature Academy students have to be registered to take bus transportation on A1 days to the tricampus. (No need to pay.). Our office has taken care of this registration paperwork.
Students at Coast Redwood High who need afternoon transportation to the tricampus for concurrent enrollment classes can take the TK bus that leaves the District Office at noon each day. They will not need to pay for a bus pass. However they still need to register with Transportation. Rides will be denied if students are not registered.)
The Charter Office staff ask families to call in before 1:50pm if they have a message for their student about changing that day's bus transportation arrangement.
Parking lot safety
Student drop off and pick-up:
Please be mindful of safety during drop-off and pick-up. Drive slowly, and stay with your young child when walking to and from your car. Older students should walk (never run), and watch for moving cars when the are in the parking area.
- Parents/guardians of elementary-age students need to park and walk their students to their classroom and sign them in at their classroom.
- Middle school and High school students can walk to their classroom, where the teacher will take attendance, or students will sign in.
- If your student is taking the bus, they will be dropped off in the morning in front of the District Office.
- At pick up time, teachers will supervise all students until they are picked up - either at the bus stop at the top of Marion, or at the parent pick-up spot behind the District Office building.
NOTE: The driveway down to the main campus is not designed for walkers and cars at the same time. Buses need to take wide turns to exit the transportation lot. Please use the stairs when going up and down from Marion Avenue to the central campus area.
- Parents of elementary and middle school students can park in front of the District Office Building.
- CRHS students who are driving to classes can park in the front parking lot and walk up the stairs to the CRHS building.
- Any student who is riding their bike to the campus needs to park their bike at the top by the Coast Redwood High School building, along the side of the path, and walk down the steps to the central campus area.
- All SLVUSD students are eligible to receive a free breakfast and lunch through the cafeteria. But lunch must be ordered online.
- Complete the Free/Reduced Lunch Application at https://family.titank12.com/
- Although a meal application is not necessary to receive free meals during the 2023-2024 school year, households are encouraged to complete a meal application to ensure that your school receives accurate funding. As well, your child’s eligibility for free or reduced lunch could qualify you for additional outside services or benefits including Free/Reduced Bus passes, student fee waivers, P-EBT, discounted utilities, and more.
- Meals will be served from our Multi-use Room in the central area of the campus.
- Breakfast will be available in the mornings from 8:15 - 8:45am - no need to place an order
- Lunch times vary per program, but generally happen in the 11:50 - 12:30 window
- CRHS students can order lunch and it will be delivered to the CRHS building.
- Elementary students will have lunch cards (kept by teacher)
- Secondary students will need to key in their student ID on a keypad
- Make sure your online order is in by 9am on the day prior to ensure hot lunch. Some limited cold lunch options will be available for anyone who didn't order in time. Here is a link to the steps for setting up a LINQ account and ordering your child's lunch. (Free to all; no charge!)
- SLV Student Nutrition Services. Please click here for more information
After school childcare
SLVUSD partners with the YMCA to provide before and after-school childcare at Boulder Creek Elementary and San Lorenzo Valley Elementary. For more information, please reach out to the YMCA (831) 338-2128, or visit their website - YMCA CHILDCARE.
Parent/family engagement/involvement and education opportunities
Triple P/First Five of Santa Cruz County offer ongoing parenting classes for parents of students of all ages. Please click here to see their workshop offerings.
Triple P also offers 1:1 sessions for parents who are needing intensive 10 week session and add-on sessions for people who are divorcing or separating (Family Transitions), for couples wanting to work on their relationship (Enhanced) and for people wanting to work on their strong emotions, like anger (Pathways). If interested in 1:1 sessions, please contact First 5 of Santa Cruz: https://www.first5scc.org/contact