May 1st, 2023
"Paws" for news from the principal:
This week brings us closer to the end of the 2022-23 school year. This will be our final PAWPRINTS of the year. I will continue to reach out with information through our "Cowern Family Updates" newsletters as needed.
We have some exciting events happening at Cowern the remainder of this school year. Two of those notable events are the sale of our yearbooks and the family BBQ.
You can find information about those events below.
The week of May 8 - May 12 is a week to recognize the fantastic staff we have serving our students here at Cowern Elementary. This is a terrific time to share what the adults at Cowern mean to you and your students.
Thank you for continuing to partner with us in serving the academic and social needs of our students. We value your part in this work and thank you for showing up for the conferences, concerts, BINGO night, Raptor show, and other events this year. We look forward to our continued collaboration for all our students.
April 24th-May 12th - MCA Testing
May 8th-12th - Staff Appreciation Week
May 16th - Culver's Night
May 17th - Mobile Market
May 26th - Cowern Family BBQ
May 29th - No School - Memorial DayJune 8th - Last day of school!
Yearbooks On Sale Now!!
Here is your chance to order a 2022-23 Cowern Elementary School yearbook. These will be available for purchase with delivery before the end of the school year. They cost $15 for the yearbook.
To order, click Cowern Elementary School Yearbook Orders.
If asked for a school ID code, use 11204323.
Contact Information Update
Is my child well enough to go to school? Click the link to learn more.
Attention: When calling in your child’s absence, please do not leave a message saying “they are sick” or “not feeling well.” Be more specific about the absence. Let us know the type of illness your child has (i.e., flu, vomiting, stomach ache, etc.). The Health Office needs to know this information to help keep our school safe and healthy.
If a phone call is not received, the absence remains unexcused. If a child has 3 unexcused absences or 10 out-of-building tardies, the school will send written notification to the family and report the situation to the appropriate county agency. The county agency will exercise progressive steps, if the unexcused absences and/or tardies continue.
Culver's Fundraising Night!
What: Cowern Elementary Fundraising Event
Where: Culver's Location: 3202 White Bear Avenue White Bear Lake, MN 55110
When: Tuesday, May 16th, 2023 from 4-7pm
How: Grab Dinner or dessert at Culver's from 4-7pm and 10% of drive-thru, dine-in and to-go orders will go towards Cowern Elementary! If you order online, 20% of the order will be donated! It is that simple! No flyer, code, or information needs to be given in order for Cowern to receive proceeds.
Thank you for supporting our Cowern Community!
Resources For Students And Families
Below are some resources that will be helpful during this school year:
1. Weekly Food Bags through the EveryMeal - After September 23rd! Bags that are provided with foods structured around USDA MyPlate with options that also cater to different dietary needs and restrictions. Bags will be placed in student backpacks every Friday. There is no eligibility requirements! ANY student can participate. Please sign up here.
2. “Food In-A-Box Pop-Up Market at Cowern” - This is a project that will be done in collaboration with Good in the Hood, a program dedicated to “changing lives through simple acts of kindness.” Their goal is to provide fresh produce, meat, and dairy products to communities once a month to the surrounding communities. We will be setting up a drive-thru mobile market where families can pick up these items in a socially distanced manner. This opportunity is open to ANY and ALL FAMILIES and will happen every third Wednesday from 4:00-6:00 p.m. Click here to get to Food Shelf-In-A-Box link. If you would like to participate, please complete the form by clicking on one of the following links: Form in English, Form in Spanish or Form in Somali and send a copy to KThompson@isd622.org. I am also looking for volunteers to help at distribution. Time slots are open from 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Volunteers can come and go as they please. If you are interested in volunteering on November 23rd, contact Kyliah Thompson via email at KThompson@isd622.org or at 314-312-1097.
3. Minnesota COVID Hotlines for Immigrants and Refugees - There is now a MN COVID hotline specifically dedicated to our families that are immigrants or refugees to get help with COVID questions and one-on-one navigation support (i.e., getting appointments scheduled, finding testing sites and vaccination sites for those eligible, dealing with employers, accessing COVID rental assistance, etc.). It is available to undocumented immigrants, too. The number to call is 651-318-0989, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
4. COVID-19 Resources - The Suburban Ramsey Family Collaborative put together a massive list of resources related to housing, employment, financial support, unemployment, mental and physical health resources, and so many more for people living in Ramsey County. This is just a list to have at your disposal, but if you need help connecting to resources, please do not hesitate to reach out! Here’s the link: .
5. COVID-19 Vaccine Connector - ISD 622 put together a webpage to find out when and where vaccination sites are in the community. Please visit isd622.org/covidvaccine if you are interested in resources regarding COVID-19 vaccination availability.
7. Rent Help MN - This is a program for eligible renter s to get caught up on overdue rent and utilities or if you may not be able to pay for next month’s rent due to a COVID-19 related hardship. Here is the link.
Cowern Elementary School
The school day is from 8:50-3:20.
Adventure Connection: 651-748-6898
Attendance Line: 651-748-6800
Cowern Health Office: 651-748-6815