Turned into a terrible day for the United States
On September 11, 2001 the two World Trade Centers were hit by hijacked American airlines. It all started when the first plane hit the north tower at 8:46 am. Then later at 9:03, the north tower was hit. The south tower stayed standing for 56 minutes. The north tower then collapse at 10:28 am. Thousands of people died in the collapse and hundreds were injured. This was a great tragedy for New York and the World. Everyone with remember the day that brought us to tear called 9/11.
The memorial is placed where the World Trade Centers once stood. Each building have pools standing in there footprints. The pools have the names of 2,983 victims surrounding it. Each pool holds 450,000 gallons of water. There was tree's planted all around the memorial.
- They had more than 2,500 worker on the clean up of the World Trade Centers.
- More than 15 million have visited it since it has opened
- More than 12,500 artifacts
- It cost 700 million to build
- Tissues and exit door are placed everywhere for when people become very emotional
- To get into the memorial, people have to walk through two large steel doors that were originally placed in the twin towers.
- To get to into the main exhibition space, people walk down the 'Survivor stairs," where hundreds escaped death during 9/11