September 22, 2017 V1.3
On the Calendar
9/28- Young Rembrandts & 4th Grade Intramurals
9/29-5th Grade Intramurals
Whittier Action Territory Night 4:00-10:00 pm
10/2- Sign Language Club 2:30-3:15 pm
10/3- Kindergarten Games Night 6:00-7:00 pm
10/9- PTA Meeting
We love having children in school on time everyday! Whittier has an annual attendance goal of 97%. We need your help to achieve this goal. Attendance at school is a crucial factor in students being able to reach their potential.
Did you know that;
• Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause children to fall behind in
• Missing just 10 percent (or about 18 days) can make it harder to learn to read.
• Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
• Being late to school makes it difficult for students to get engaged in learning.
Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school—and themselves. Start building this habit in preschool so they learn right away that going to school on time, every day is important. Good attendance will help children do well in high school, college, and at work.
Each month we will share with you our progress towards our attendance goal. We will also have a variety of incentives and awards for students who have great attendance!
What can you do to help your child's attendance at school?
• Set a regular bed time and morning routine.
• Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
• Don’t let your child stay home unless he/she is truly sick. Keep in
mind complaints of a stomach ache or headache can be a sign
of anxiety and not a reason to stay home.
• If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to
teachers or our school counselor, Mrs. Dryer, for advice on
how to make your child feel comfortable and excited about learning.
• Develop back-up plans for getting to school if something
comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbor, or
• Avoid medical appointments and extended trips when school
is in session.
How can you help? Please encourage your child to do their best, make sure they get a good nights rest, and eat a hearty breakfast each morning!
Within Reach - Free Art Nights hosted by Whittier PTA
Drop Off Begins at 7:15 AM
Mon-Thur 7:25 AM - 2:25 PM
Friday Dismissal 11:21 AM
6:55 – 7:25 a.m in MPR
7:00 AM - 3:30 PM