Poverty In Rowan County
Where would I live?
- I would most likely live in a home that was little to nothing, Rowan Helping Ministries or Nazareth Children's Home.
- Rowan Helping Ministries: an overnight shelter that provides temporary shelter; they provide supper and dinner and allow the homeless shower time during the day.
- Nazareth Children's Home: they give a home to children who have bad home environment whether it be their parents cannot afford to care for them or they've been taken away due to neglect at their previous home.
- Rowan County population was about 138,323 in the year 2013
- The population now has grown to more than 140,000
- Income of $15,000 to $24,999 is estimated to be 6,906
- Income of $10,000 to $14,999 is estimated to be 3,719
- Income of $10,000 and less is estimated to be 4,861
- The rate of those unemployed is 5.6% of the population, making the amount of unemployed citizens being about 3,693
- The estimated amount to be below the poverty level was 25,532 people
Below the Poverty Level
- All families make up 14.2%
- Married couple families make up 7.1%
- Families with female householder make up 38.7%
What is provided for those in poverty?
- Food stamps: voucher issued by the government to those on a low income, they can exchange them for food
- Welfare: financial support given to people and families in need
- Social security: government system that provides monetary assistance to people with little or no income